The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Forums closing at the end of January - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by mdsurveyor, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:10 AM.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hmm, I'm not seeing sigs either. Looks like they're not included in the page HTML, must be dropped in by JavaScript(+AJAX?) after load?
    ...I'm not going to worry too hard about this one, it is a shame but kind of too far into the process now to feel like figuring it out (if it's even possible without server-side support) and starting over :-\

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022 at 8:33 PM
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looks like sigs only show up once you log in. I'm trying your approach with downloading external content including *.js

3. etern4l

Reputations:
    Don't use the feature below - it's buggy and messes up the cache:

--priority=7
    Prioritises HTML over images and other content.

4. etern4l

Reputations:
    Yeah, 20k members. That's respectable and gravatars to boot.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I did restart my job fresh yesterday but I have it now going for 17 hours. The first page of all ≈7600 threads has been downloaded, along with supporting files (images etc.), and it is now crawling through other pages. (Most of the threads are pretty short but some are hundreds of pages long.) Up to about 2.5 GB of files so far. The number of domains that it has pulled supplemental files from is up to around 315.

If anyone else is following this thread, check out the "where do we go now" thread ... we're looking at standing up a new forum soon.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/where-do-we-go-now.837527/

etern4l likes this.
  6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I can comment that my pull is chunking along at about 500 "thread pages" per hour. Thread pages being like the view you are looking at right now (this thread currently has six pages). Just past 20 hours & 10,000 thread pages pulled. Could help give an estimate to anyone else on how long it would take to pull a certain section. You could also estimate that as about 5,000 posts per hour.

etern4l likes this.
  7. etern4l

Reputations:
    Nice. I took a different approach because of the weird link issue I observed, where it would still convert the link to the original domain despite the JS being removed. My updated guess now is that this was due to an incomplete download where it post processed the html to restore the link to the original site where it was missing a local copy. I will continue with the current "safe" approach for a while. Progress is solid, despite the added bulk of external content. As you said, grabbing all the counts and avatars is major cost, but once that's done the actual thread content mirroring is going much faster.

8. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks you guys for doing something real about the terrible loss that this is for us. The Dell Precision section is where I got into this and although I'm pretty much done tinkering with the Precisions it was a huge help to me. Not sure there's anywhere that has this sort of real info on that. The OS section is also a really helpful part especially trying to navigate the restrictive and invasive nature of modern windows. I'm relatively a noob but it still will be missed, never thought a forum would mean so much.

etern4l likes this.
  9. etern4l

Reputations:
    No worries. My guess is that the community will be back up and running in some form before too long. :)

hertzian56 likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Extending my fuzzy math to get some estimates on these copies.
    Precision section = 150,000 posts = about 30 hours (more than half done, hopefully it'll wrap up by tomorrow morning)
    XPS section = 334,000 posts = a bit under 3 days (takes me through January 25)

I can take a stab at the Windows section after that. I haven't spent any time there but I've heard a few people mention its value. It's just a little bit bigger than the XPS section, so going through January 28 or 29.
    The base Dell section is almost 900,000 posts... over a week, won't have enough time for it after XPS unless the shutdown is extended. Alienware has 1.1 million, same problem (and I think that doesn't include subforums).
    Maybe I can wedge in the HP Business Class section, it's not that big.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022 at 1:50 PM
    etern4l likes this.