The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. derei

derei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hy, My Dell Precision M6800 is equipped with AMD Radeon HD 8950 (isn't this one the FirePro M6100?).

I want to change it for something better, but the NVidia K5100M doesn't seem a really good option comparing the price and the performance add. So, I was thinking more to NVIDIA GTX 980M 8GB DDR5 and I need your advice here guys:

1. can I really put that card in M6800?
    2. Does it need different heatsink than the one I already have in?
    3. Any BIOS incompatibility? (My BIOS version is A19, updated in 2017)

I need this topic to be as to the point as possible, in the intent to help others which may need graphics upgrade for M6800, as the information available online is scattered and always misleading/incomplete.

Thank you very much guys.

2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  3. derei

Reputations:
    Thank you, very informative! But as most info on the web are related to M6700, that is a bit misleading for me. The reason for creating this topic was to specifically address the issue on M6800 and to see if others had successful upgrades and what were the problems encountered.
    I can't afford to test, try, remain without my laptop functional for longer period of time, so I need to document myself before attempting anything.

4. sicily428

Reputations:
    I posted that link to eurocom site because that could be a good solution
    ask @Eurocom Support

5. derei

Reputations:
    I actually found on ebay one of their products that is said to be compatible with M6800 and I wrote them an email using the emails found on their website, but no response so far; this is why I decided to ask the question on this forum.
    If I would go for the Graphics Card they are offering (they say is a upgrade kit, but nothing mentioning heatsinks or bios issues), then I need to know if I need something extra, or not.
    ebay link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Prec...VIDIA-GTX-980M-8GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0b/122300661179

6. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The answers you are after can be found in the M6800 Owner's thread. Don't be lazy, just search in that thread.

7. derei

Reputations:
    So, rather than pointing to a link, or giving a straightforward message, you suggest that I should search post by post in a thread with almost 1000 posts?
    First of all, I don't know who can be so uninspired to make a thread instead of a subforum for this... I mean, people could come with all sort of problems regarding a specific model... piling them together in one thread it only brings mess and confusion.

And fyi, before posting here, I did considerable search online, to find my answers... but you know, most answers are similar to yours: NOT answering the question. This is why people continue to ask, hoping that eventually they will get an answer, not a rant.

Good day to you. And hopefully someone that knows (or did) upgraded a graphic card for M6800 could come back with some real help.

8. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    Had you bothered to search in the M6800 Owner's thread, using the appropriate keywords, you would have found the answers you are after by now. Instead you post a new thread. I am being nice by trying to direct you to find out the answer yourself. The information you are after... it's all there in that M6800 Owner's thread mate. Again, search it with the correct keyword/s.

Had you at least posted your questions within the M6800 Owner's thread, it wouldn't be as bad. You might have at least attracted a few more responses trying to point you to the pages in the thread itself.

You are not the first to post a thread asking to be spoon-fed the answers and you will not be the last either. Ever wondered why your thread is attractnig so little responses? I am not trying to be rude here but I am trying to tell you that the folks here are sick of such threads.

FYI, I was one of the few here that did the 980M upgrade on the M6800 and I have helped a few others answer their queries. At least they did the right thing.by posting their question in the right thread instead of generating a new thread each.

9. sicily428

Reputations:
    Did you use a clevo card?

10. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    Yes I believe it is a clevo card as I had to change the X bracket to a Dell version.

sicily428 likes this.