The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can go from 34-45w without issues, both M6800s in my family started as i5 4200M

One has 4710MQ with all core boost at 3,5GHz, other has 4700MQ at stock.

Id aim for 4710MQ, 4800 or 4810MQ and just up turbo with Intel XTU, some undervolt and not waste money on mx chips on old machines for 300-400 MHz, airplane noises under load, high temps and borderline throttling. In the end those are 6+ years old machines (and boards now).

Those few hundred MHz will not make unplayable game playable or supper stuttery workload smooth.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Lite using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Defeatz likes this.
  2. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That’s a fair point. If I am however able to get my hands on one of the extreme cpu for cheap… should I have any issues going from 47w to 57w? I see systems on eBay being sold with the 4940mx but it’s still the question of if there was other boards that had weaker power delivery.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No issue with boards, they're all the same with regards to CPU power delivery (and any other performance metric). I know that M6700 had a beefier CPU heatsink with an extra heat pipe for the high-end CPU. M6800 might be the same.

Defeatz likes this.
  4. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay cool. I suppose I’ll just stick with the m6800(or elite book 8770w if a good deal comes along) I think a 980m should be enough horsepower for what I am trying to do.
    I am wanting this for video editing in premiere pro when I am traveling and general workstation needs. I’ve got my main rig at home of course. Not really planning on playing games but I’d imagine a 980m might help for editing 4k video coupled with a good i7 cpu

5. GorkDeek GurdNeek

GorkDeek GurdNeek Newbie

Reputations:
    I am going to upgrade from an M6100 to a K5100M. I got the correct heatsink but I need to change the thermal pads. I can find the blue ones in various thicknesses quite easily. However, I haven't been able to find any of the light green pads. How are these pads different from the blue ones? Where can they be found? I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022