The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah using that. Had bad experience with Corsair brand with M6700, their 1866 is not working and i have to go for Kingston. Donno what to do with the Corsair ram...

2. epsilon72

epsilon72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone else tried the FirePro W7170M with their M6800? I bought one a few months back and the GPU fan never turned on after the card was installed, so I assumed that the GPU is just not compatible with this machine. I've been thinking, though - I got that W7170M for a ridiculously low price ($150), so maybe it was defective and the seller did not disclose this? Just wondering...

3. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried W7170m on M6700, no luck in fan control whatsoever

epsilon72 likes this.
  4. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A friend just gave to me a used GTX 970M without bracket and cooling pads.
    Just trying to figure out how to provide proper cooling to the card,I need your help to get a reliable source to buy some cooling pads from.
    I need guidance with specifics in both brand and thickness.(Got also an M6800 K6D33 cooling HS that comes with pads already attached).
    Is it doable to attach just the K6D33 adapter over the card and forget to add extra cooling pads?.
    What about the X-Bracket?.What is the DELL P/N?

Thanks .

5. supermoth

Reputations:
    As far as I know to help others I found out three different sources for the GTX 970M.

1-From Dell.It was fitted in some alienwares.

2-Clevo

3-MSI.
    Mine is an MSI MS-1W051 Rev 1.1.No X bracket and no cooling pads.
    Will the Dell X bracket fit properly?.Cheers

6. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Physically, they were all pretty much the same IIRC, but you have to mount the Dell X-bracket so the heatsink screws will fit. You do have to add some thermal pads to cover the big inverter chips and the smaller chips between them, as well as the line of smaller cheaps on the top edge.

Don't remember the exact thickness for various parts as I used my existing pads from the K4000M as a reference, best to get some compressible ones (e.g. Arctic Cooling or maybe Gelid) of 1 mm and perhaps also of 1,5 mm. You'll have to double the pads at some parts I think.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  7. supermoth

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info.I am not familiar with the pads.Are they ok if I need to double them?

8. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, they are, especially the softer ones.

9. 84Lion

84Lion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    With the 1866 MHz one is limited to 16GB - at least that was my understanding when I bought my M6800. Is that also true for the 2133 MHz?

10. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm running 32GB on the 2133MHz Kingston in my M6800.

heinz2017 and alexhawker like this.