The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude 7450 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hockey, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivboje

ivboje Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I try to install same KingSpec NVMe 2242 256GB drive (P300-256) in my E7450 dGPU and it didn't recognized in BIOS and WINDOWS. Is there anyone who was successfully started NVMe SSD on E7450 dGPU?

2. zogthegreat

zogthegreat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi ivboje.

Welcome to the forum! The E7450 is SATA only, no NVME controller on it. From what I have read, getting a 2242 SSD to boot from that slot is hit or miss. I think the Toshiba drives tend to work, I'll dig up the details for you tomorrow.

Sorry! :(

zog

3. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The one thing that holds back the E7450 from being the most perfect machine!

4. zogthegreat

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree. A lot of laptop manufactures include this slot on their laptops. Unless you use WWAN, slot slot is basically worthless. You would think that laptop manufactures would take advantage of the space so that end users could add additional functionality to their machines.

Having said that, the price on SSD's keeps on dropping, so a decent size mSATA is relatively cheap. However, I'm old school and I like to keep my OS on one drive and my data on a separate drive so that if I have to wipe and reinstall, my data is safe(ish), so having space of a second drive would be nicer.

powerslave12r likes this.
  5. zogthegreat

Reputations:
    Hi ivboje,

So here is what I found. According to these two threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/7sahuw/m2_slot_on_t450/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/6hegpo/m2_2242_ssd_for_a_t470/

Your best bets are the following:

MyDigitalSSD Super Boot 2 2242 SATA III M.2 NGFF SSD
    ADATA Premier SP600
    Lite-on T11

The MyDigitalSSD seems to be the preferred drive. The E7450 is also listed on the MyDigitalSSD websites compatibility list:

https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/msata-ssd-compatability-list-p2.html#Dell-laptop

I hope this helps! :)

zog

6. dotokija

dotokija Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed this same NVMe (KingSpec NVMe 2242 256GB drive P300-256) in E7450, but with integrated graphics. I don't know if the dGPU has the same WWAN port (I guess yes, since you physically installed it), but it is recognized by Windows.
    It is not recognized by UEFI and I found no way to do it. I have the BIOS v20. Dual boot is possible when I put GRUB bootloader on first drive and from there Linux boots from NVMe.
    In Windows it functions well as second drive. My suggestion is to update BIOS.

7. ivboje

ivboje Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    Thank you for your reply, my BIOS is A21. The NVMe SSD isn't visible in the BIOS System information and in Windows.
    dotokija, maybe for the dGPU is reserved additional PCI buss and there isn't free one for NVMe?

8. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looking at these dirt cheap 1TB and 2TB nvme drives is really making Dell's decision unforgivable.

9. upnorth144

upnorth144 Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any way we could crowd-fund someone to make a custom BIOS that would allow booting from nvme on the WWAN port? (with the discrete NVIDIA graphics)

10. ProgressBar

ProgressBar Newbie

Reputations:
    Dragging this old dog up.

I just bought UMA that I haven't received yet. I also bought a
    MyDigitalSSD Super Boot 2 (SB2) 42mm (2242) SATA III (6G) M.2 NGFF SSD Solid State Drive (256GB (240GB))

Seems like any M.2 2242 NVMe card using 2 channels that has an onboard SATA controller should work. What you say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.