The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude 7450 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hockey, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotokija

dotokija Newbie

Reputations:
    My experience (see few posts above) is that only NVME drive works in WWAN slot on E7450. Before purchase I checked useful post about installing Toshiba NVME 2242 M.2 in Dell E7450: https://blogs.oracle.com/jtc/the-changing-landscape-of-laptop-solid-state-storage

2. ProgressBar

ProgressBar Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for pointing that out! I don't know how I overlooked that it was not an NVMe drive when it clearly states it. That wasn't too smart on my part. Sending back.

3. ProgressBar

ProgressBar Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed the Lexar NM520 M.2 2242 256GB NVMe Solid-State Drive (LNM520-256RBNA) mainly because I could get it quickly from Amazon.
    It is not recognized in the BIOS but is recognized in Windows 10. It will dual boot with Linux using GRUB in a weird indirect way.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. Saltcandle

Saltcandle Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to confirm that the E7450 accepts m.2 NVME 42mm SSD's. I bought a random one from Western Digital and it works like a charm, can definitely recommend.

powerslave12r likes this.
  5. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What speeds are you seeing?

6. Saltcandle

Saltcandle Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 128gb PC SN520 NVMe SSD with advertised 1500MB/s read and 800MB/s write. With Crystal Disk I get 800MB/s read and 730MB/s write. So, especially the read is much lower for some reason.

7. powerslave12r

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing. This is for the WWAN slot, right?

Those aren't bad speeds at all, but I think the 42mm drives are a bit pricey for what they offer.

Haven't been through this thread, but are there any restrictions on using at as the boot drive?

8. Saltcandle

Saltcandle Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, it fits in the WWAN slot, for me it was an easy and cheap option to expand drive space instead of reinstalling windows etc. I payed 24 euro's for a 128gb which is not that expensive in my opinion, although of course more expensive compared to the more normal SSD sizes.

As stated before, you are not able to boot from that disk, sadly.

9. powerslave12r

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update. It is indeed a cheap upgrade. I wonder if it affects battery life in any tangible way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.