The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude D420 vs. Latitude D430

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by The General, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The General

The General Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is something i've been wondering for a while, what's the difference? They are both still on sale and they both have exactly the same specs. The only difference is that the D420 uses a U2500 processor whereas the D430 U7600 but they both run at the same clock speed and I can see little difference between the two. The only other thing i've noticed is the secondary battery module in the D430, which the D420 doesn't have, but it is rather confusing as there is little other information about it and I can see no way they could have included a second built-in battery.

2. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    the d430 has the new chipset.

3. Sirius_GTO

Sirius_GTO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the only supposed difference is a brighter screen, and a core 2 duo processor as opposed to a core duo. Of course, I'd recommend the D430.

If you're not afraid of thinkpads or the 4:3 aspect ration screen, I'd recommend the Lenovo X61s. I've had all three computers and the X61s is a nice computer for a great price. :D

Good luck

4. Sirius_GTO

Reputations:
    No it doesn't.

5. Raphie

Raphie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've received my D430 this week, it's awesome. Supersmall formfactor and really fast. both design and material finishes are superb.

6. offbase

offbase Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Whatever you do, do NOT buy a refurbished D420. See my thread, "Un-Reaking-Real, Dell", in the customer service issues subforum.

7. gridtalker

gridtalker Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

The chipset and screen are the only diffrence

8. The General

Reputations:
    Hell no, I use a Latitude D610 as my main computer so a non-widescreen laptop is definitely not a problem. What I would like to ask, though, is what is the disadvantage of the Lenovo X61 compared to the latitude D420? I've noticed that the thinkpad runs at a far higher clock speed (1.6Ghz), yet it is still only 0.3 pounds heavier with an 8-cell battery and is actually lighter than the D420 with a 9-cell battery. It seems to me that there must be something i'm not noticing, considering the sizable performance gap.

So, in other words, it's not something to get annoyed about because I missed out on it?

9. Sirius_GTO

Reputations:
    The X61s is quite a bit faster than the D430, and the X61 is a lot faster. But if small form factor and a bright screen is what you desire, go with the X61s. You must remember, the D430 uses a Core 2 Duo ULTRA low voltage @ 1.2 while the X61s uses a low (not an ultra low) voltage processor @ 1.6

The X61s is lighter than my D420. Build quality leans more to Dell.

Keep in mind the X61s does not have a touchpad.

Dell service and warranty is SUPERB compared with Lenovo. The D430 comes with 3 years warranty standard. Lenovo only offers one. And their customer reps are incredibly unprofessional.

Remember, the D420 uses older core duo tech, so don't even consider it.

Only consider the D430 or X61s.

edit: also, with the 4 cell, the X61s is lighter. With the 8 Cell, it's still lighter. Mine has the 8 cell and it's only 3.3 pounds. You have to remember though, the X61 is heavier than the X61s.

Sorry all my thoughts are unorganized. It's just random thoughts pouring out.

10. The General

Reputations:
    Small form factor and light weight are the top priorities. I would still like to know how Lenovo can compete on portability when they such higher spec chips?

I expected so, Latitudes have superb build quality.

Ah, that sort of sways it for me. I don't think I could stand using a pointer all the time.

I'm not suprised. I've always found the latitudes far superior in build-quality to other laptops.

I was actually under the impression that the D420 used core 2 duo. If it's core duo then that would explain why it performs so poorly.

The 8 cell X61s is heavier than the 4 cell D430 but it's lighter than the 9 cell D430

No problem, i'm glad for any advice given. This has been confusing me for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.