The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude d530 vs d630

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by skynyrd, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skynyrd

skynyrd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

I need to know the difference between Latitude d530 and d630.

I know the d530 has a 15'' screen while the d630 has a 14'' screen. Are there any other differences?

There are no reviews for the d530. I wonder why.

Thanks.

2. another photoguy

another photoguy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Aside from the differences in size and weight the D530 has a standard aspect-ratio display, while the D630 (and D830, and most other Dells) are widescreen.

3. skynyrd

skynyrd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks

I'm thinking on buying this machine:

DELL LATITUDE D530

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.40GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 800MHz Dual Core )
    SCREEN: 15 inch Wide Screen WXGA+
    MEMORY: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz, 2 Dimm
    HARD DRIVE: 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    VIDEO CARD: Intel™ Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    DVD BURNER: 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Basic
    ETHERNET: Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network Card and Internal 56K v924 Modem
    WIRELESS: Dell Wireless 1395 802.11b/g PCI-Express Mini Card (54Mbps)

Its refurbished and the price is $849.95

How does it sound?

I' know the d630 and I liked very much.

I work as Web Developer so I think widescreen is not very good for me. But, strangely, the spec says widescreen. Maybe the seller has a wrong spec.

I don't play games and I prefer to watch movies on my 29'' TV.

Thanks

4. another photoguy

another photoguy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ...but hasn't the whole world gone to widescreen now?

As far as the D530 goes I'm not familiar with it. Certainly the D630 is far more popular. Interestingly the base model 530 comes with a one-year warranty, vs. three with the 630.

As far as refurb goes, I see that Dell no longer offers the T7700 in the D530. But if you could live with the T7500 and 2 GB of ram you could get a brand new one with otherwise similar specs (OK, maybe not the WXGA+ display :) ) and with a three year warranty for only $60 more.

And the D630 is being discounted these days, so for $30 more than the refurb 530 you could get the T8300, albeit with 2 GB ram. But you can always up the ram later more cheaply than buying it from Dell. (It's also available... for a day or so more... with XP, which might eliminate the need for any more ram).

Or go for the T7250 (2.0 Ghz) and the price comes down to $829 with 2 GB or ram and otherwise identical specs.

And you get a three-year warranty.

5. skynyrd

skynyrd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maybe you are right, but I'm kind of used to a regular 4:3 screen.

I hope the d530 is a sturdy and well build as the d630 Latitude.

The d630 has a very bright screen. I hope d530 also has one.

Thanks

6. magister

magister Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get the D630 or for a bigger screen D830 (15.4). You'll get used to the widescreen (maybe?). The Dell refurb section can get you a D630/830 very cheap.

7. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    The D530 is supposed to be Dell's "budget Latitude" and I'm guessing it's not very popular because most people looking for a budget business notebook would look for a Vostro 1400 or 1500 instead.

The D530 has a standard aspect 15" inch screen because it's built on the same chassis as the last-generation D800 and D810 rather than the newer wide-screen chassis of the D820 and D830. Subsequently I don't think the machine is built quite as solidly as the D620/D630 or D820/D830 and maybe not even as well as the current line of Vostros. I'd assume you could read reviews for the D800/D810 for more info on the build quality.

Spec wise, the D530 is pretty much the same as every Dell out there, though most of the options are somewhat limited and closer to those of the low-end Inspirons than Latitudes or Vostros.

Would vote that you go for a D630 or D830 over a D530. Even the AMD-based D531 is built with the newer D820/D830 chassis.

8. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    D530 is not widescreen. If it says WXGA+, it's a typo.

9. dordale

dordale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My MIL has a D530 and I have the D630. I can tell you that my D630 seems much more sturdy than her D530. And it's quite a bit smaller and lighter as well.

dordale :)

10. panteedropper

panteedropper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I deal with the D630 at work all day. Its a great machine, but using the touchpad on it gives me the chills. It feels like sandpaper....word of advice...get a mouse with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.