The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude d530 vs d630

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by skynyrd, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magister

magister Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haven't heard of any issues with the touchpad before. Perhaps it hasn't been used very much so feels new? But, seriously, give the pointing stick a try. Far superior. Just give yourself one whole week using only the pointing stick and you may not go back. It will feel awkward at first, but you'll get the hang of it. I've seen a bunch of people "convert." Adjust the settings for speed, etc as well to what you're comfortable with.

Back to the D530, I do remember seeing it in a Verizon store. They also had a D630 there. The D530 was not as solid feeling.

2. jaycee

jaycee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree, I have D520s and D630s in service. The D520/530 is based on the older chassis which is shared by the Inspiron series as well. The D630 is far more robust feeling.

Our programmers like the 4:3 screen more though, which is the only reason why they havn't opted to upgrade to the D630s yet.

I kind of like the texture on the D630's touchpad. I guess its up to personal preference. But seriously, if you are doing any serious work on a plaptop, you'd get an external mouse anyway.

3. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The D530 is an entry-level corporate laptop. It's missing the handy volume buttons and uses the problematic D610-style chassis (need to keep tightening hinge screws because the hinge is screwed into the palmrest). I would not hesitate to recommend the D630 over the D530.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.