The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ejl1980, Aug 11, 2012.

1. appomo

appomo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i mixed cd drive with hard drive..so i thought it only blinks when a cd is in it and not when the harddrive itself work. since i know for what it is i can live with it :)
    thx again for the tipps!

new problem:
    i wanted to upgrade the ram and opened the keyboard area and i got a little suprise...there is a plastic on the place for the ram with a crossed ram sign.
    ram_by_comic_coloring-d5b5q08.jpg (sorry for the bad photo)
    so what now? should i just try to remove it and place the new ram into it ?

2. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    do you have a dual core or quad core system ?

also, did you check the ram slots on the bottom of the notebook ?

3. appomo

appomo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    its a i5 3320M dual core

does it have something to do with it? i ordered the ram directly from dell and tould the selling guy that i plan to put the ram into it.

on the bottom is the 2x2gb ram placed. i ordered the minimum of 4gb and buyed the other4 separately because its cheaper that way then to do it with the editor at the store.

edit: checked the store again and it seems with the dual core it can be only placed 2 dims...well, so it seems i have to send back the 4gb i bought extra and change the 2x2 i have on the bottom slot.

every notebookram should work on a cell machine right?

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As you figured out, if you have a dual-core system, you can't put any memory in those slots.

However just throwing out there: I have a quad-core system and my machine still came with the "no memory" plastic piece in the extra memory slots under the keyboard. I removed it, installed the extra memory, and it worked fine.

5. TSC25

TSC25 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you have any noticeable tint (green/magenta) on it when viewing a plain white or plain gray background? Mine is very bad and I got 2 displays changed already and tomorrow the whole motherboard will be changed. The tech's (both who were here) said this (mine) is not acceptable for IPS Precision screen.

6. appomo

appomo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i have some color tint on the edges like in the thread which exist here in the forum.
    and it seems the frame is not really well attached. i got some click sounds when i press on the left and right side and i got some kind of red light at the bottom edges of the panel/frame.

here a photo of it: light_leak_by_comic_coloring-d5b6b23.jpg

and here some general photos with the battery slice so that interested people can see how it will look like.
    by the way, on the last image you can see some color tint on the white areas.
    feel free to post what came out in your case.
    batterysliceonm4700_by_comic_coloring-d5b6b1y.jpg

7. TSC25

Reputations:
    when you take off the screen bezel you can see the lights clearly (i know because my book lies around here more or less in parts until the next tech comes :( ) Sadly my tint is not only in the corners, half of the bottom screen is magenta. I posted some pictures on this page http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...26-dell-precision-m6700-owners-review-21.html

First they changed the display, helped nothing, then they wanted to change the cable, after deconstructing the whole book the tech realized it's the wrong display cable they sent and when trying to put it together the keyboard connector was destroyed because it was not fixed correctly to the mainboard, so as I said I will get a new mainboard and a new cable now. Hope it helps in some way.

8. TSC25

Reputations:
    is the tint ok for you? won't you complain about it. I mean this has to come from somewhere, all the talk about filters ... I don't know... The 17" seem to be completely free of it. And they knew already in the M4600, I am really wondering why Dell doesn't take care of this. I mean they try everything now with my book. I'm so looking forward they find a solution.

9. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i think the only way it could be fixed if they replace the entire display assembly - complete with the hinges. simply replacing the panel inside the display assembly will not help if the problem lies in some physical crookedness in the display assembly.

10. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    you should use 1600 mhz or higher, DDR3, 204 pin sodimm.

i would recommend 1.35V for cooler operation, but that's optional.

not sure why Dell offered 1866 mhz ram option - can the CPU support that speed ? i thought 1866 mhz was just for overclockers ?