The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ejl1980, Aug 11, 2012.

1. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the cylinder icon is the hard drive icon. because a hard drive is a hard disk and cylinder is a disc ..

also if you flip the LCD all the way back and look at it at a maximum possible angle from the bottom you will know if it is IPS or not. regular TN panels go to a very dark, distorted, almost negative type image when viewed from the bottom. iPS will look the same from the bottom as straight on just more dim.

2. appomo

appomo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so this is for the hard drive
    whatisthisiconfor_by_comic_coloring-d5b1yj8.jpg
    ...ok, but why does it always go on and out? there is no cd in it but it blinks 3-5 times a second and its really annoying.

couldnt get the premier color software to work. everytime it starts it shows a (in german ) failure message and i can just close it.
    i will try to solve the problem with the dell support.

about the angle..its like you described so it should be the ips panel.

3. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use this link for the PremierColor software

ftp://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00586040M/3/

4. appomo

appomo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    man, i would hug you for that :)
    it works. seems the search on the dell.de website got me to a old version.

thx!
    its now
    srgb 100%
    argb 100%
    ntsc 96%

5. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  6. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glad that worked for you. The M4700 and M6700 drivers don't have it on the downloads, but I got the date from the rest of the drivers and found them on the Dell FTP site. Its like they did not get linked right or something.

7. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ejl thank you for starting this thread. i am enjoying it.

today my Pelican 1495 case came in ( ordered from Amazon ). i can't put the M4700 inside yet because i haven't finished working on it yet, but i have put the BOX in which the M4700 came on top of the Peli for comparison.

the 1495 is a bit wider than Dell's own protective packaging but otherwise it is the same size. the Dell box in the pic was used to ship just the notebook and nothing else - all the accessories like AC adapter etc were in a separate box.

inside both the Dell cardboard box and Pelican injection molded box - both have foam padding. so the two protection systems are quite similar - except that you can throw the Pelican in a lake and it will float with its water tight seal. of you can stand on top of the pelican ... or drive a car over it:

Pelican 1495 Laptop Case Getting Run Over By A Jeep (Multiple Times) - YouTube

i also measured the 180W AC adaper brick - it is exactly 6 inches by exactly 3 inches by a bit over 1 inch ( about 1.2 inch ). these dimensions may help you if you're looking to fit the AC adapter into a hard case. i think i will do what Dell did and only put the laptop itself in the case.

Attached Files:

8. ejl1980

ejl1980 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It only blinks when the hard disk is being accessed. The hard disk is the the long term storage inside your computer. That will not blink when a CD or DVD is being accessed. Your computer will access the hard drive almost constantly, so it will rarely stay on steady lit. That light is there to tell you your hard drive is being accessed, and was really more useful in the old days so you could see thats why your computer was being slowed. Now its more of a dummy light that tells you, yep, its working.

NICE CASE!!! Little too bulky for me, but awesome.

And you are welcome. I think the M4700 needed its own thread. I"m happy to see more and more people joining it.

9. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Someone needs to get down and write a review like Bokeh's M6700. Please :)

10. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And Bokeh needs to get down and start filling in the rest of his review :)

Work has been kicking my butt. At least that is my excuse.