The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. tomcom2k

tomcom2k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HDMI, yes
    DP, yes (i dont know how to tell if its display port plus)
    E-Port Plus, I don't know what that is.

Hopefully that's of some use to you.

2. -Mr-P-

-Mr-P- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "E-Port Plus" is the name of the advanced docking station. E-Port is the normal docking station with only one DVI and one display port. The advanced docking station has two of them.

3. setk

setk Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, Tom. That helps.

DisplayPort Plus Plus is Dual-mode DisplayPort. The logo has two "+" signs next to it.

File:DisplayPort plus plus.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Compatibility_with_HDMI.2FDVI

As Mr-P said, "E-Port Plus" is DELL's advanced docking station. I guess you don't have one of those. Maybe havoctex can answer this part of the question.

Thanks again.

4. tomcom2k

tomcom2k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Certainly does have 2 ++'s next to it :)

5. setk

setk Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Tom. Your quick response is much appreciated.

6. VukDjordjevic

VukDjordjevic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys can some1 explain me how many monitors can i connect to the m6600 without a docking station? As I understand max is 2 or am I wrong?

7. Dr.McKay

Dr.McKay Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

I am looking to buy a M6600. I'm not sure if i should select the NVIDIA® Quadro® 3000M with 2GB GDDR5 ($300.00 more expensive) or the AMD® FirePro® M8900 Mobility Pro Graphics with 2GB GDDR5.

I am mainly going to use it for work, I'm not going to be using any of that 3D designing software, maybe solidworks occasionally. I think both of the cards will work fine for my work.

I will play games occasionally, which of the 2 cards will work the best for gaming?

PS. I think the best card for my application will be a Mobile Nvidia GeForce, but since i want the M6600 i must choose between the professional cards. :(

The NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000M is much to expensive so i am not even considering that one.

8. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    3 max total display done one of two ways.

3 external displays connected to the VGA, DP, and HDMI ports OR 2 external displays and the internal for 3 total. The AMD GFX card does this via Eyefinity. The NVIDIA does this via Optimus but the catch here is that with NVIDIA only 2 are powered by the NVIDIA GFX card the 3rd one is by the Intel GPU via Optimus.

9. Turbot

Turbot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Havoctex,

Please confirm, if I purchase an M6600 with NVIDIA Quadro 3000, 4000 or 5010m (once available) can I run 3 x external monitors (such as Dell U2711 @ 2560 x 1440) using e-port plus - so that I have a dockable tri monitor solution?

If this is not possible, can I run 1 27 inch monitor and 2 x 20 inches (1600 x 1200) or (1280 x 1024), using just the M6600 (and no external adaptors) - just the nvidia and the intel gpu?

I have spent many many hours attempting to figure out an upgrade path that will give me a mobile workstation with CUDA (to accelerate Adobe Apps) and which will let me run 3 monitors when I dock it. This way I can have a high end setup in my office, that I can bring with me to wherever I go.

Many thanks!

10. -Mr-P-

-Mr-P- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: