The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. tomcom2k

tomcom2k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is huge and it is heavy, like the M6500 which is why i bought a MBP 17, the Lenovo W520 before the M6600.

Yes size is a concern for some but vs the MBP 17 the unit design and thickness means that you never have loud annoying fan noise when doing not so intensive tasks. And despite me saying in runs warm its nothing vs the MBP under load.

I've never had the M6600 throttle under load.

Possibility the most difficult thing to gauge is the feel of a laptop, not physically but whilst using it. The Lenovo W520 was almost exactly the same spec but just felt slow in comparison. The M6600 just "feels" right to use.

I got the M6600, installed my SSD then I did a clean install, installed office, adobe cs5.5 suite and used ninite for my little apps.

From opening the chassis to fully working machine, 25 minutes. More importantly having used it for 2 days I haven't needed to tweak anything.

Fan noise is fine, heat is fine, stability is fine. It's big, not bigger than the M6500, if your in doubt find a mate with a M6500...

2. tomcom2k

Reputations:
    It is big.

But to be fair your asking someone who has owned the 20 inch M2010 and the 20" HP DRAGON HDX.

I passed the laptop to my Mrs who is 5" 6" and she struggled to take it off me lengthways due to width and weight. She commented on how i've got another monster.

So offbyone if your a petite 5" 6" girl probably not the one for you. Otherwise it's awesome

3. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well said. I've been happy with the M6500 (non-Covet) with RGBLED 16:10 display.

4. tomcom2k

Reputations:
    I've got a professional photographer coming to visit me on monday.

I'll going to ask him to bring his DSLR and hopefully I can get you guys some better shots (if someone else doesn't get their M6600 before then)

5. tomcom2k

Reputations:
    Just finished playing an hour starcraft 2 game on EXTREME settings at Full HD Res, smooth as silk.

Attached temps

Attached Files:

6. nekura

nekura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks great... can't wait.

7. trenobus

trenobus Newbie

Reputations:
    Tomcom, thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

You mentioned earlier some disappointment with the keyboard. Could you elaborate on that? I'm particularly interested in whether it's a matter of your personal taste, or a build quality or fundamental design problem. If I go with the M6600, I'll use the keyboard a lot. I'm pretty adaptable as far as keyboard "feel" goes, but if it's not going to stand up to heavy use, or has some frequently used key in a bad place, that could affect my decision.

Another thing I was wondering about: My impression is that you've added an aftermarket SSD to your rig, something I'm also interested in doing. Were there any problems with that? Did you make the SSD the boot drive, and if so, how did that go?

8. tomcom2k

Reputations:
    The keyboard is better than most consumer level laptop's keyboards.

The keyboard has much more flex than the previous Dell M6500 and the W520, that is my main issue.

On the whole its not a bad keyboard just not as good as the Lenovo W520 or the previous M6500.

I use the laptop keyboard exclusively whilst i'm at home and I certainly don't feel the need to purchase an external keyboard.

With regards to the SSD it was plain sailing. Bought it from ebay £240 for a C300 256GB. Swapped the mechanical 500gb drive into bay 2 and put the SSD into bay 1. I paid £4 for the restore disk to be shipped with the machine, put that in the drive and reinstalled windows to the SSD.

All in all 25 minutes including installing office.

9. tomcom2k

Reputations:
    I was asked to run 3D Mark 11 as well

I got the basic version as I don't have a full license

Anyway:

P3055 3DMarks

It moaned that my graphics driver was not approved.

10. trenobus

trenobus Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I think that puts the last of my trepidations to rest.