The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6700 gfx upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Valgone, Jan 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgone

Valgone Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have been a dell M6700 owner for about 2 years. And i' like to upgrade the K4000M by a M3000M.

I would like to know if all M3000M are comptaible with M6700?
    I found one on Ebay with these information :
    NVIDIA Quadro M3000m 4 Go GDDR 5 - N16E-Q1-A1 - Hp spare replace Zbook 17

Does Zbook use same MxM socket as dell?

What do i have to check to ensure the compatibility please?

Regards.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any M3000M should work. With an HP card, you might have to flash a Dell vBIOS onto the card for it to work. (Make sure that you have Optimus enabled when you install the card so that you can boot up with the Intel GPU, in case you have to do this.)

3. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Flashing is a bit nerve racking imo. I'd look for a non-hp version. Hopefully you're getting a decent price for the card. m3000m=gtx 965m, m4000m=gtx 970m, m5000m=gtx 980m. From my benchmarks k4000m=gtx 765m

4. Valgone

Valgone Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for both reply.

@Aaron44126
    I thought a modification of an "inf" file was sufficient to integrate this M3000m. Earing about flashing is a bit racking indeed.
    Is there any good place to download verified vBios for dell card? Do i need an unlocked one?
    I found this : https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207075/207075

@hertzian56
    The cost is about 200 usd. I m livining France so it is quite hard to have such product at decent price.
    I maybe should better go for a gtxt970m for about 30 bucks more since i don't really do CAD but rather photo editing (Dxo, lightroom) and sometimes gaming. there's not much difference between quadro and other card for this use
    if we believe testing.
    Futhermore benchmark between 965m and 970m seems enough significant to cross the course.

I have another question. My CPU is an 3840 QM. I wonder if it is really interesting to upgrade with an i7-3940XM ?
    Is there any heat issue due to different TDP?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    That vBIOS is fine, the version number is only off by one from the one that I have on my M5000M in the M6700 so I believe it is the directly related corresponding version for the M3000M.

I am not totally sure about a vBIOS flash being needed for a HP-sourced card but that often seems to be the case. HP often does something strange with their vBIOS that no one else does, storing some of the important stuff in the system BIOS instead, so the card will not work in a non-HP system. (Some of their newer MXM cards do not even have a vBIOS chip on them so they cannot be flashed for use out of an HP system.) Flashing a new vBIOS on the card is not too difficult but the best experience would be to find a Dell-sourced card so you don't have to worry about this.

Regarding the CPU, "extreme" XM CPUs shipped with a different CPU heatsink in this system with two heat pipes instead of one, so you might want to look into that if you are thinking about upgrading the CPU. (If you want to see if you have a single-pipe or dual-pipe CPU heatsink, you can pop the keyboard out; there is a hole under it that will let you see this part of the CPU heatsink.)

6. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think it's worth it to upgrade to a 3940xm for you, I don't think you'd have heating problems, I have that cpu and a 980m and never had any heating problems but I just don't think it's worth the price you'd pay for a 3940xm for performance. Not to mention you have to tear apart the laptop even more.

Yeah I think those quadros and gtx are not too different but I had a k4000m and it was crippled by nvidia, when I unlocked the vbios and overclocked it I got gtx 870m/680m level performance with only slightly higher temperatures. Get Quadro if you use a lot of openGL stuff like CAD or other software and GTX for everything else. I think at this point it's just better to get GTX for everything, you probably won't notice the difference in CAD etc software. I'd go with a 970m or a 980m if you can get it for a decent price though. On notebookcheck.com it looks like the 970m beats the m3000m by a bit, but the m3000m has a higher bitrate etc. Check the details of each card, it's pretty extensive.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Quadro-M3000M-vs-GeForce-GTX-970M_6507_5965.247598.0.html

7. hokuto

hokuto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To install an nvidia m3000m should have the os on gpt? because on legacy bios doesnt upload any driver , thanks regard

And I have an issue also with usb port , no one working on os, on bios only for installation.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You must modify the NVIDIA driver INF file to load an unsupported GPU.
    Are you trying to use Windows 7? The USB 3.0 ports require a driver to be loaded as well.

9. hokuto

hokuto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

hi, thank you for your support.

1) my problem I can install windows 10/8/7 from dell because it doesnt recognize hd
    2) So I implant one hd with already installation
    3) the usb doesnt work exeption when I try to install from usb new os
    4) I need to modify the file some screen shot so i can copy and do myself otherwise if would be very difficult for me

1) it's test with dell assistant where there is problem with some port
    2) manage system where there is issue with usb.

[​IMG]

https://i.postimg.cc/5NKbF62J/dispositivo.png

Thank you

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Not sure what to make of the USB problem.

If Windows doesn't see the hard drive when you are booting up to start a new install, it is because the system is set to RAID mode in the BIOS. You need to load the Intel Rapid Storage driver in the Windows installer in order for the drive to appear in the list. (There is a "load driver" button right by the empty drive list.) Or, switch from RAID to AHCI mode in BIOS setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.