The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6700 Heatsink swap/repaste

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tijo, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCB

RCB Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Man I'm glad you're around here :thumbsup:

I've thought for over a week that grumpy was making a typo but then it persisted.

I'm going to try to make this laptop last awhile. Maybe next time around they'll have improved the heatsink since they're raising the thermal bar.
    The last computer was a Dell I9300 single core, 1Gb RAM. When I took the heatsink off the paste was quite hardened after 6 years. Not real dirty though.

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    I get some of my info at ark.intel, not everything might be accurate though, especially the max amount of RAM supported. Penryn Core 2 were at 105oC, then arrandale/clarksfield was at 100, sandy bridge at 100 and ivy bridge back to 105.

3. virtualeyes

virtualeyes Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    "At idle, I'm getting between 20-26c", excuse me?

If this is post-repaste, I'm interested, how on earth are your idle temps so low, that doesn't even seem possible with a 3840QM

I leave the machine running all day long and idle around 50c, same CPU, dual SSD, Nvidia K1000M.

The only time I see CPU temps in the low 20s is right after waking up the system...

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Re-pasted yesterday evening and ran some temperatures this morning.

Load (5+ minutes): 82 +/- 2
    Idle: 45 +/- 2

Generally satisfied with temperatures. If you recall from my previous post, I used to get an average of 84 under load with the single-pipe heatsink and 86 with the dual-pipe and stock paste. Also, idle temps are new quite a few degrees lower.

Additionally, it used to be that core 0 always showed up notably hotter than the other cores when idle, but now they seem more even. While of course all of the temperatures go up and down a little, I can't see any individual core that appears to be particularly hotter or cooler than the others overall.

Anyway, moral of the story: If you're doing this upgrade, go ahead and get your own paste.

Now, the problems. My new temperatures have put me at a point where under my normal workload the fan wants to cycle between the lowest and next-to-lowest states constantly, whereas before it would just stay at the 2nd state most all of the time. I don't mind the fan but I wish it didn't spring to life with such a whirr when it transitions between states, that's a little distracting. Wish we had better fan control.....
    [Edit] After a while it seems to have settled on using the 2nd state so that problem's gone for now. Maybe it'll just be something that happens during the first hour I use the machine?

Also, my fingerprint reader has vanished. I must have messed something up during the tear-down. I checked the motherboard connection and it seems fine. Something on the palmrest side must have come lose. Don't really feel like taking the machine apart again to look at it, but, I'll get to it sometime....

5. Northern-Loop

Northern-Loop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Damn Dell on the UK via their "Expert Sales" want £60/$100ish. Will Dell US ship to UK?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you try the spare parts number? 0844 444 5818 according to Contact Us | Dell UK

(When I called spare parts in the U.S., I got connected to a sales rep, but I had to mention that I was giving the part number provided by a Dell tech before they were able to find it. I think they were looking for an item number like what you find on the web site or something.)

7. AgentYura

AgentYura Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I doubt they will. I'd recommend to use mail forwarding service.

8. Northern-Loop

Northern-Loop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No the number I tried was 0871 231 1924 and well I called the above 0844 number they just directed me back to the 0871 number for their "expert sales"

Not paying $100 for something that US guys are paying $20/30 for!

None listed on Ebay either :/

9. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Alright, so after some testing due to questions in this thread here is what I found about fan profiles on my M6700.

The fan setpoint Firepro M6000 is set at a few seconds at 60oC, this will trigger the fans to run at ~2500 RPM according to HWiNFO.
    M6700_GPU_FAN_SETPOINT.png

The fan set point for the CPU on BIOS A10 looks to be at 70oC and near instantaneous contrarily to the GPU and will also make the fans kick in at ~2500 RPM. Ambient was at 24oC when the screenshot below was taken.
    M6700_CPU_FAN_SETPOINT.png

When docked with multiple monitors, the GPU is set to higher clocks which will trigger the fan. Clock profiles is 302 MHz/1000MHz (core/memory) multiple monitors on non GPU intensive workloads when docked and 302/161.5 MHz when not docked using only the laptop display. Note that those clock profiles are for the Firepro, Quadros will have different clock profiles. The extra clocks on the memory and multiple monitors is enough to push the GPU at temps that will get the fan to kick in.

On battery, the CPU will hit higher power states less frequently and the fans are even less likely to kick in. Also, on mine with the 55W heatsink, the fans are almost always off when plugged in undocked, I get the odd spike in CPU usage and clock from time to time which makes the fans kick in for 2 minutes at most. As of now, in an hour, I've had two such spikes with the last 40 minutes being fanless. There are many workloads that will get the fans to kick in at low speeds, something like a virus scan, Windows 8 maintenance, etc.

As for the fan speed setpoints, they are kind of hard to tell, max is somewhere over 4000 RPM which I now never hit and the minimum it at ~2500 RPM. There is at least two settings between those I would say.

10. veselatakurabiika

veselatakurabiika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have always been wondering if there is a way to control the fans...Not that there are issues, my 3840QM and k3000 are rarely attracting the attention of my fans. It is just that I am unhappy I cant create profiles like I used to on my Inspiron 1520 with i8kfangui :)

tijo, if you know a way let me know ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.