The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6700 Heatsink swap/repaste

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tijo, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    I know HWiNFO allows to control the fans on some Alienware models, no idea if it works on a Precision, but it is worth a shot if you ask me.

2. blindzior

blindzior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for info. FYI you can't control fan with any software including HWInfo, modifying is disabled in EC firmware or something.

3. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Well, if you're crazy or have intricate knowledge of how the M6700 was designed you could try RWEverything. Seriously, don't though, you can ruin a notebook using that if you don't know what you're doing.

4. blindzior

Reputations:
    Yup, not that desperate :) Will post my details after repasting CPU+GPU later on.

5. blindzior

Reputations:
    Repasting done, confirmed I got dual heatsink in my laptop. Will see if repasing CPU+GPU help.

6. Chris_ast1

Chris_ast1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dear friends,
    I've just read all posts from this topic. To people who get worse results, few advices:
    - I am using Arctic Silver 5, and before use, I press more (like 1/2 of all) and mix it again till it looks uniformly
    - I try to put as thin layer as possible (removing excess of AS5 with credit card like object)
    - I put it only on absolutely clean surface and only on one ... on CPU core (nothing on radiator side)
    - most important, if you move radiator after placing it on core, one of core could end up 'exposed' and run with higher/lower/different temperature. Moment of placing radiator is very important when using spreaded thin layer approach.
    - cover ends of screws (of radiator) with locktite (but not too much) and screw tightly, wait till it cures

This sounds crazy to put such effort, but always temps are better with new paste compared to OEM, and compared to cured AS5 (which cures and gives worse results after 12 - 16 mnths).

PS: Forgot to mention, be aware of 'too thick' thermopads - if you used 1mm (compressible to 0.5mm) on VRM near CPU instead of 0.5mm (compressible to 0.25mm) then this also might result in less contact pressure.

7. veselatakurabiika

veselatakurabiika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Chris, I believe that spreading the paste can produce micro-bubbles which will lead to higher temps. [link]

Is there any argument for spreading?

I've always used dot/line and after months when I repaste usually find that AS5 spread to all corners evenly.

Very curious ... have to do an experiment these days.

8. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is always a great debate concerning that. Best is what makes you most comfortable. I repasted my desktop pc's and serviced quite a lot of other computers and tbu there was no noticable differen.ce if spreading is done properly with a cc

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.