The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for sharing:) The board revision is A1. So, anything with .044815 or greater should be compatible with this board.

2. fwip

fwip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    aaand system won't boot/won't display now. This thing is cursed, I swear.

Update: Can't get atiflash.exe -i to work in dos. I'm shelving this project indefinitely to focus on the m6600s. The M6100 was completely plug-and-play. It thermal throttled a bit but all I had to do was use better thermal paste and now it's running like a dream...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  3. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sad to hear that :( Yeah, M4600 is not a dream machine to upgrade the GPU. And it's kinda strange why you can't run atiflash under dos... Seems like, your M4600 curse any GPU you want to pair with it...

P.S. One more info - your programmer with clips will not work for mobile video board in 99% of cases. You need to de-solder vBIOS chip first, coz it's in circuit and you can't read/write properly.

4. docsaro

docsaro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    thank you very much for a thread full of suggestions!!!
    So finally is there the possibility to upgrade a so built M4600 full working laptop:??????????
    i7 2820QM CPU
    2000M GPU (06CW3P heatsink)
    8 GB DDR3 SODIMM
    500 GB HDD
    128 GB Crucial M4 SSD
    1920 x 1080 IPS Screen

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!

Docsaro

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I might have asked this in the thread already. Doesn't IPS mean NVIDIA only for the M4600? In that case your upgrade options are limited as the M4600 can't take Kepler and higher NVIDIA GPUs, leaving only AMD GPUs as options, which you cannot use with the IPS display.

6. docsaro

Reputations:
    Hi Aaron,
    and thank you for the quick reply.
    My suspicion was just this ...
    It seems amazing, considering all the components were of a very good level, but that the set does not allow the upgrade ...
    Really sad ...

7. Rippchen

Rippchen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are you really sure that your M4600 is using an IPS Panel? Please check the specific display model by using hwinfo oder aida64 to verify that. My M4600 is also equipped with a wonderful display with vibrant colors and enjoyable viewing angeles from my personal point of view but it's not the Premium IPS Panel :)

8. docsaro

Reputations:
    Hy Rippchen,
    and thank you for assistance.
    My panel is a LG Philips LP156WF3, aka LGD0308, Color Bit Depth: 10 Bits according to HWiNFO64.
    I'm still quite sure it's an IPS panel, can you confirm it?

9. Rippchen

Rippchen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey docsaro,

It seems that your are really unable to change the GPU to ATI/AMD as a real Dell Premium RGB panel user :(
    I've also checked the panel in my M4600 and it's an non-IPS Samsung panel. Even though colors, brightness and suprisingly also viewing angles are really good in comparision with the IPS Panels used in my Zenbooks (UX303UB and UX501VW).

10. fwip

fwip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    aaronne likes this.