The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Probably eDP only which means a majority of the m4600 cant use it I presume?

2. fwip

fwip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I believe so. That would extend to the M4800 as well, unfortunately. Dump of a bunch of stuff I've learned just poking around: There are also some 960ms available, I believe that they are custom boards that were never shipped in a laptop so I'm not sure how much I trust them. (Same goes for the 1050s...? I can't really figure out, everything is in Chinese.) Also, check prices of K2200ms, they may give you better bang for your buck than either of the others... if you can find one that ships internationally. K2200ms are confirmed working in an m4800. The description of this video also says some m4800s support eDP and possibly therefore 1050s. (also check out that guy's other videos, the k2200m also works in a 8560w which is older, and therefore cheaper, than the m4800, if you don't mind HP.)

I may have too much time on my hands... Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread. My own next project is going to be an 8560w as soon as I get the 8540w, m4600, and m6600(s) sold off.

As someone in another thread pointed out, BE AWARE that the custom cards are probably less reliable than cards that were shipped in a laptop.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I'd probably stick with the 965m in a m4800 as its confirmed working probably wont be for a year though for me personally.

Only reason Ill get be getting an m4800 is to transplant the 4900mq from it to my y510p (of which I just got the pcie adapter for) but I also have to make sure it will be better than what I have now in the m5100

4. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    K, firstly - LVDS and eDP support are software (vBIOS) depended. Good news for LVDS owners is that 1050 cards linked above are stated to support LVDS output. So I see no reason why it shouldn't work in M4800 (just want to believe, that Dell didn't messed with ACPI in sBIOS like they did in M4600). But yeah, just for now, 965m is best performance for the money MXM 3.0a card available today.

I wish there was a way to ask Dell to fix this ACPI table issues in M4600. But it's been a while since the laptop launch, so that I think they don't care about it anyway. I've never thought that the same gen HP laptops would have no issues with reasonable hardware upgrades.

5. fwip

fwip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's good to know! Yeah, I was super surprised that the 8560w seemed to have such broad compatibility. Planning to pick one up as soon as I get a few of these sold off... Current project is to try to put the M5100 (the second one) in my 8540w. The same user reported that an m5100 in a Dreamcolor 8540w was able to output video over VGA, so I'm hoping that it will work with my non-Dreamcolor internal screen. Only problem is, I got a friend to desolder the vBIOS chip to flash it and it snapped in half, so now I'm waiting on a replacement chip from Ebay. This is a really slow project.

6. valuxin

Reputations:
    Recently received my w5170m cards and as expected they were HP one without any vBIOS loaded on them. Unlike M4800 or M6800 where AMD graphics cards can work together with one from Intel and there is no problem to flash cards with empty or corrupted vBIOS, M4600 could only bootup in 4 mods: Intel + Nvidia, just Intel, just Nvidia, just AMD. That's mean, M4600 won't boot if it'll not detect a working video on POST and it's pretty impossible to flash "empty" cards in this conditions (sBIOS mod could solve the problem, but it's a long story).

Now I'm willing to get my old Acer 7738G from my parents, where I can just integrate my vBIOS into the sBIOS without any problem and then flash all of my cards. This is the best possible way for me to do this without de-soldering.

Also, I'm investigating in output table remapping to add LVDS support in current vBIOS for W5170M. I've done already two different mods for this and going to test them as soon as I get my hands on Acer 7738G:)

UPD1: Flashed HP cards with the vBIOS from Dell - they are working flawlessly with external output. At least, what I've wanted to do initially is accomplished. Now, trying some LVDS modding - hope to see some good results.
    UPD2: Bad news: my LVDS mod don't work well - still have no output to LVDS.

LOL: Even my 9 years old Acer 7738G (Core 2 Duo) laptop runs Quadro M2000M without any problems... The system BIOS for M4600 is a mess of raw garbage - IDK why it's working.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. valuxin

Reputations:
    On stock freqs under 50% load W5170M runs really cool and have nice ASIC 70.7%. But, the problem is that M4600 don't want to control GPU fan as it doing on nvidia cards... That means no overclocking headroom till fan problem will be solved (there is a possible way on linux, but not on windows right now). Under full load and 50% fan speed GPU have temps around 70c. For those who wonder about DX12 HW support - it's the same as M5100 had.

8. valuxin

Reputations:
    Some good news. W5170M is really neat GPU: it runs without any problems at [email protected] core / 1250Mhz mem and still have some room for overclock. Under this conditions with unlocked TDP I gained over 3000 in FireStrike - not bad at all I should say.

2nd good news is that under Linux I gained full control over fans and found a person that wrote a driver and utility some time ago to do the same on Windows. He placed the source code of the driver and the app on github, but met some compilation problems so I asked him to share complied binaries with me.

UPD: Seems like it's too long to wait for the response from dev and I've managed to compile the Fan utility and driver by myself from the source code. And I should say - it works perfectly :D

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    alexhawker likes this.
  9. valuxin

Reputations:
  10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Oh boy fan control!

Its that thing that we could never get for the y510p! lol