The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm still bit far a way from my Dell M4600, but nothing can stop me from overclocking it remotely lol :) My current overclock for W5170M is [email protected] core and 1250Mhz mem. It runs pretty stable and cool: 60min Furmark passed, avg freq is 1050Mhz, avg temp with 2 fans 100% is 55C (max temp is 56C), with 2 fans 50% avg and max temps is 65C. Can't do a proper testing for 3D performance via RDP, but GPGPU test in AIDA64 shows 1100-1200 GFlops in Single Precision calculations:)

Would be nice to see ASIC quality of M5100 chips (can be done with GPU-Z) to understand what affects overclocking of this pretty similar cards.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Heres my GPU-z w/asic

If you got a moment would you be able to look at my vBIOS and see if there is any reason why I cant push 1.1v? I would really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

3. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever Thnx for sharing. I've though that M5100 should have lower ASIC, but they are pretty like the same. M5100 firmware have max voltage value set as 1.1v, while W5170M have 1.225v. IDK if it's due to some HW limitations or it's just firmware limitation. Yeah, it's possible to swap voltage tables between this models, but will it soft brick or not - no one can tell:) If I had M5100 model instead of W5170M I would definitely tested this out, coz it's ok for me to soft brick GPU 30 times a day to find a working variant lol:)

4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I've tried the BIOS rom the other thread and doesnt seem to work for me. Even if I reflash it, the max it pushes is 1.025v

Right now I can push 910/1400, you think with 1.1v that 1Ghz is possible?

Unless there is a step I am missing in order to push 1.1v? This m4600 is my daily driver for maybe 6 more months, anything I can get out of it in performance is most appreciated :D

5. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever, Tell me what vBIOS version works on your card right now? I'll try to push it up to it's max 1.1v (in testing purposes, I'll turn off some powersaving features).

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Ill just upload what I have from gpuz, I think that might simplify things

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

7. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever
    K, I've done the mod that will bring as much performance as possible for 1.1v. Here is some keynotes:
    • Core clocked to 900Mhz, voltage is 1.1v, memory is running at 1250Mhz
    • TDP is set to 60W. TDP Limit OverDrive is availible, but 60W should be enough and it's probably the highest safe max TDP for this card
    • Cut off some mobile power saving / throttling features
    Be sure to clean up the registry from MSI Afterburner entries, and for AMD overclocking I highly reccomend to use Sapphire Trixx utility. Afterburner could really mess things up when you're trying vBIOS mods.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Reciever likes this.
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Just as you said, PC crashed when I tried out Sanctum after flashing the vBIOS. So I reinstalled, disabled old settings, then used ccleaner to clean up the registry after uninstalling afterburner.

After that, 1.1v was finally being pushed to the card! With Unigine Valley Extreme HD as the benchmark used I was able to achieve a 1Ghz core / 6000Mhz Memory with a score of 683. I was able to run the memory higher but the result was the same so I just brought it back down to 6000Mhz.

It feels like the card could go higher if more power was allowed to be fed to it, Im guessing thats maybe where the W1570m will shine, even with 1.1v max temp I saw so far was 71C on regular fan curve.

Thanks a lot man, I knew this m5100 could hit 1Ghz given it had enough gas in the tank. +REP

Im going to try a few other titles just to make sure the behavior is the same across the board.

Thanks again :)

EDIT: Guess I cant rep again :/ lame, gave a like though

EDIT 2: Stable in Overwatch and R6:Siege so far, might try battlegrounds next...

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  9. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever
    Pleased to see you have accomplished pretty nice result for your setup:) Also, you are lucky to have high quality GPU chip installed:)

With my W5170M I've managed to achieve [email protected] core and 1350Mhz memory to be very stable. Going higher might cause apps crushes. But I'm pretty glad with results I'm getting. 3DMark FireStrike shows 3425 points, Valley Extreme HD shows 701 point, AIDA64 GPGPU shows 1337 GFlops in Single Precision mode. Yeah, I can go even higher with 1.225v, but I don't think VRMs will handle this kind of overclock.

UPD: Lol, just installed another W5170M card with with higher ASIC quality and... it can't do [email protected] and failing 3d tests...

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Dang you cracked 700 on Valley Extreme HD preset? Im thinking ill need to grab a 2860qm and up my ram speed to 1600 before I can achieve that.

My 2670qm only has a 2.8Ghs 4 core turbo which is low on this aging platform

Have you ever seen 1866Mhz working on the SB? Most Ive been able to get is 1600Mhz, I have a 2133mhz kit and even that registered as 1600mhz