The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Evahum

Evahum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CPU burn-in is small and simple focusing on CPU stress. A lot of people still love to use it for stressing CPU in linux environment.

Indeed, Phoronix test suite is a great test suite. It provides the most comprehensive testing and benchmarking platform across linux, windows and other OS. Michael Larabel, the developer of Phoronix test suite, wrote on Oct 28, 2019:

"If taking the geometric mean of all the benchmark results, Windows 10 had an 18% advantage over macOS 10.15 Catalina. Ubuntu 19.10 meanwhile had a 29.5% advantage over Apple macOS and 9% over Windows 10 for this tests from the same MacBook Pro."
    [​IMG]

In his recent review written on June 11, 2020, he speculates Intel optimizes to Win10, or Linux performances subpar for the Comet Lake processor. But still Ubuntu 20.04 LTS leads the tests by winning 60% of the tests, and he praises Win10 this time won a respectable 40% first place finishes. In his previous Threadripper tests, Ubuntu outperformed Win10 by 20%.

"When running 101 tests in total, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS won 60% of the tests to Windows 10 having a respectable 40% first place finishes.

If taking the geometric mean of those 101 tests, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on the Core i9 10900K was faster than Windows 10 May 2020 by just about 2%... Much closer results than we have seen out of past Intel comparisons with largely similar tests being run or even the recent Threadripper tests with largely overlapping tests being run where it was a 20% difference.

As for why the Core i9 10900K is running so competitive between Windows 10 May 2020 and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is a good question. Whether it's due to recent Intel optimizations to Windows 10 and/or (Ubuntu) Linux performing subpar for the latest generation Comet Lake processors remains to be determined."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe the 10900K has features such as lower memory latency or slightly better single core performance, but I just can't fathom why someone would buy a CPU that draws 330W+ under a stress test. It's horrendous from an efficiency standpoint.

Might as well buy a space heater at that point.

Worse multithread performance.

There's no XMP support for mainstream / non-flagship chipsets.

There's no ECC support for mainstream Core processors compared to Ryzen.

AMD confirmed that X570 (current-gen) chipsets will support the next gen processors coming this fall, like they've been doing for ages. Intel just makes you buy a new board, every generation.

There's also no PCIe 4.0 support on Comet Lake. Seriously?

You're getting less for your money.

The more I think about this, the more absurd this all is. Why would anyone buy a high-end Intel-based system at this point?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Ionising_Radiation and Evahum like this.
  3. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have 7750. I see you're running Ubuntu too. Can you confirm that you have the following 2 issues as well:
    • Trackpad right button is not working. I've tried it on Windows and it worked, so it must be a driver issue. Still, very weird, the rest of the trackpad works just fine.
    • If you chose it on yours - power button fingerprint reader is not recognized. Another driver issue.

4. Evahum

Reputations:
    I can't agree any more. However, it also depends the availability of AMD based products, right? Dell, hp, lenovo, none of them has any interest to roll out AMD CPU based workstation.

SlurpJug likes this.
  5. Joah Hems

Joah Hems Newbie

Reputations:
    Check out s-tui, it is a really cool tool for measuring cpu performance AND has a stress test option AND support for the amazing FIRESTARTER CPU stress test, which is no joke :)

Thanks for your benchmarks, maybe you can add geekbench and Superposition benchmarks? I am eager to see how it performs against my Precision 5750. Things like the blender classroom scenes are also good benchmarks.
    I posted some of my benchmarks here if anyone is interessted. (Although some of these were a little flawed because initially the performance was quite bad when the notebook was charging, which I mention in my post as well, should redo them)

6. Evahum

Reputations:
    1. Trackpad right button doesn't work. I did a quick search and found Ubuntu 20.04 did this intentionally claiming this is a "new feature" to disable the right click forcing people to use two finger tap.
    You have to install some third party software to enable the right button. I tried one but it didn't work.

2. Power button fingerprint reader doesn't work. Again, Ubuntu 20.04 removed this feature. Unfortunately, Dell didn't provide the driver either. I tried to install the driver from XPS 13 without any luck.

defaultname likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Consider using another Linux distribution, then: Manjaro is a good option.

Evahum likes this.
  8. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see Dell has shaken loose the i9-10885H.* Does anyone know if the 10% XMP speed bump is worth the cost (3200 v. 2993MHz for $332)?

Homer

* FYI: the page throws errors on processor choice that prevent adding it to the cart or reviewing the summary. UPDATE: Working as of 7/15.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  9. TORA1

TORA1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Quadro and Siemens is a perfect marriage
    upload_2020-7-14_18-15-17.png

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  10. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ubuntu did this intentionally? That is weird to say the least, do you still have the link to the source? I did extensive searching and couldn't find anything related to this.

Regarding power button fingerprint reader. Again, confused. The feature wasn't removed, in fact I can see it enabled on my desktop for some bizarre reason. Also a third party USB fingerprint reader works.