The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Laptop cooling rack for Precision 7760

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by summersun, Dec 17, 2021.

1. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Looking for a passive cooling rack that would fit well and not scratch a precision 7760.

I'm thinking that if I lifted the Precision a quarter inch further off the desk it would run cooler. A test with 4 rubber grommets seems to have the SSD running 5 degrees cooler, but I need something more stable that won't scratch or dent it in any way.

2. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I glue rubber feet onto all of my laptops. At the moment the last kit I bought was 11mm high.
    It make a big difference.
    The only laptop I don't have it on is my Latitude 7480, which has two channels with rubber feet built in to the bottom panel, and the fan never turns on except when watching >1080p videos.
    The 7760 has them too, but no way are the feet high enough to allow clean airflow, they must recycle hot air again and again and suck a little air at the edges.

I don't understand "why" laptop designers feel the need to make the laptop as flat as possible?
    There are holes underneath. The fans suck like a vacuum cleaner with your hand plugging the hose and not to mention convection has no way to function properly

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362586022577

If you want something with 3M adhesive to be able to remove without damage
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/265250026938

[​IMG]

dmanti and summersun like this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I haven't tested elevating the laptop, but I feel like 7X60 has a pretty solid cooling design.

...Airflow is in from the bottom, and out the back. The rubber foot thing running the entire length of the back prevents hot air from being immediately sucked back up by the intake fan. Air can only get in from the sides. And just holding my hand behind the side or the back I can tell my 7560 is moving way more air through than my M6700 does.

In the Travis North interview he says that they do lots of simulation and carefully balance the system height down to tenths of a millimeter.

That said, I'd definitely be interested in hearing some tests on cooling performance "regular position" and "raised". You could check what average clock speed you can achieve under a high CPU load. (...Temperature check is not that interesting, I'd expect it to stay right near 100C no matter what if the CPU is under high load.) You might have to take steps to bypass the CPU power limits to make sure that the CPU speed is just limited by thermals, not PL1 downclocking.

Or maybe see if there is a difference in fan speed when the system is running at a consistent "moderate" load between the two positions?

References.
    Interview with Dell thermal engineer Travis North, six parts: one | two | three | four | five | six
    Notes on disabling the CPU power/throttle limit in modern Precision systems: one | two

summersun and ctorange like this.
  4. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    See my comment about cooling my 7730 at http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/precision-7530-precision-7730-owners-thread.820539/page-325.