The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    In relation to this, I 'repasted' my notebook with Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut pads, and broke 20000 in Fire Strike, a goal that I had been looking forward to hitting for a while now. It does fluctuate up and down, but it's still really nice to see a GPU that's five times as fast as a GTX 860M with a slightly higher power input.

Aaand NVIDIA has moved back to the old days. They aren't even putting an 'M' in the name, and simply blatantly cutting the core and TDP count. I recall when the notebook GTX 1070 actually had more cores than the desktop card (albeit clocked lower), to achieve near-equal performance at lower TDPs. Looks like we won't be seeing that golden age again.

[​IMG]

jayarmstrong likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Interesting... I've been seeing a lot of mixed reviews, so I've been skeptical of these graphite pads, but it sounds like you're getting better performance out of it than traditional paste?
    Any reason you picked Thermal Grizzly over the IC Graphite pad?

3. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Mainly because the paste moved around and deteriorated over time... Even though it's really quite thick.

I actually wanted to experiment with both: I've got an order of the Panasonic Soft-PGS pads on back order from Mouser. The Carbonaut stuff just arrived first.

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is your CPU still overheating? The Physics Score is about 3000 points lower than that CPU should be getting.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    The aggregate temperature was around 96 °C, but the core clocks hit 4.1 GHz:
    [​IMG]

Personally, I am tired of chasing CPU scores, and am resigned to the fact that Intel 14nm is going to continue to overheat with no real way of managing it. This is also illustrated in my Cinebench R15 scores, which have a ~300 point margin:
    [​IMG]

Also, 15500 or so looks about average, based on the aggregate statistics...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That’s strange. You’re holding your max 4.1GHz all-core boost for the duration of the physics test, yet you’re scoring below average, and that’s keeping in mind that a lot of those systems in that database may not even be running at 4.1 due to having lower power limits or thermal throttling. The only things I can think of are that maybe background processes are consuming CPU time, or your RAM not all running in dual channel mode due to the asymmetric configuration, could be the culprit.

As for the high CPU temps still after repasting, I suspect that’s due to your usage of the graphite pads, which are known to work poorly in laptops as those pads require high mounting pressure such as that found on desktop heatsinks, and even then only perform as well as a middle-of-the-road thermal paste, and not as well as the top pastes or liquid metal. You’re getting higher temps in 3DMark physics than Notebookcheck’s 7530 did while running Prime95 on stock paste.

7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Re-ran Fire Strike after a fresh reboot, and with cold air blowing in from the outside (it's 21 °C today; sometimes it's as high as 37 °C and I tend to not use the air-conditioner):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like I mentioned, chasing scores is something I don't really have the time for, and it runs great as-is, so I am... okay with what I have.

NelBro78 and yrekabakery like this.
  8. NelBro78

NelBro78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any information if and when Dell will release a refresh for the Precision 7550?

They indeed skipped the planned update of last November

Additionally, when do we expect the launch of the new Precision "7560"?

Thanks in advance for your response

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There was never a planned update for November... The 7550 was just released in May. The Precision refreshes on a 12-15 month cycle. They predictably follow Intel's CPU refresh cycle. When Intel releases new H series CPUs, a Precision refresh will follow within 2-3 months. (H series being mobile CPUs in the 45-65W TDP range. 11th gen Tiger Lake CPUs have started appearing in laptops, but the H series / high-end mobile CPUs are not yet available.) Tiger Lake H is expected to be formally announced at CES this month and then available maybe in March or April, which means a Precision refresh could drop in May or June.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    NelBro78 likes this.
  10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    One does hope Dell starts putting AMD CPUs in the Precisions: the 4XXXH CPUs are increasingly more popular in notebooks now.

jayarmstrong likes this.