The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Replacing the dGPU is not bad (Dell support site has the manual which has all of the steps) ... however, you'll have to source the power cable and two or three DGFF data connectors in addition to the dGPU card itself, and those can be hard to find.

ThomasMW likes this.
  2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I have been holding off on the 7550 hoping the 7560 will be release soon. My issue is I am running out of time. I would like a system in hand by 7/31 so we have a few weeks to setup and use before my son goes to college around 8/23. I have two concerns waiting on the 7560. First is timing. Second is that the 7560 will not be discounted as much as the 7550 is right now and instead of a few hundred dollars more to get the top graphics card, it will be like when the 7550 was release and much more.

Any thoughts of getting the 7550 with:

Intel Core Processor i9-10885H
    NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 w/16GB GDDR6
    15.6" UHD, 3840x2160, 60Hz, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 100% Adobe, 500 Nits, WVA
    64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC Memory
    1 TB Class 50 Solid State Drive
    Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig+) and Bluetooth 5.1
    5 year Pro Support

I see the 3560 is out on Dell site. But not the 7560 yet.

thanks,

Mike

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This seems fine. Honestly, the current low price on the RTX 5000 is quite a draw for such a configuration. It'll be a fine machine. I'll just refer to my earlier comments on saving money on SSDs by purchasing them aftermarket.

On GPU prices, I figured that I'd mention that (...other than the lower vRAM...), the upcoming RTX A3000 (4,096 CUDA cores) is even comfortably more capable than the prior-generation RTX 5000 (3,072 CUDA cores), so you wouldn't have to necessarily shell out for the top card to end up with a still better system. I do see the issue on timing, the system would have to be ordered by early July to be received by the end of the month and there's no telling if it will be available to order by then. I don't know when Dell will announce the release/order date. Usually they do that at the same time as the system's announcement. An Intel embargo on the Xeon CPUs may be blocking them. If they do start offering orders on these systems around late June, there will be a period of time when you will have pricing information on the new systems but still have time to order either system and meet your deadline.

TheEngineerNBR likes this.
  4. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Well the Dell rep said the UHD screen is over 60 days out so it cannot be ordered right now.

5. bklawton

bklawton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I missed this...where/when did you see that? Thx!!

6. rinconmike

Reputations:
    it is from the dell rep that is quoting me the student pricing.

bklawton likes this.
  7. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I just checked the regular dell site and a UHD is expected 8/10 and FHD 500 nits 8/4 and FHD 220 nits 6/25..

8. bklawton

bklawton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Having to wait until August would be disappointing but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks for the info!!

9. wiggs

wiggs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone confirm if cooling system is the same in 7550s configured with iGPU-only?
    Apparently it's possible to order them with the Intel UHD only.

10. midvok

midvok Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, does anyone of you also having sound popping/buzzing issues when using audio jack output connected to your HIFI system?

I have got this 7550 as a replacement for my faulty 7540 (which they couldn't fix even after 3rd motherboard replacement), and it works well except the sound issues.

I have already tried 3 audio amplifiers connected to the audio jack output and always observe the same issue - loud popping noises when no audio is playing, it seems they happen just before you play something and then after it. It almost sounds like some silly audio driver/firmware turns the audio jack on/off when nothing is playing.

I already tried to ask on Dell forum (https://www.dell.com/community/Prec...-over-the-audio-jack-output/m-p/7856433#M6173), but they are unable to provide any explanation apart from saying that I have faulty speakers, which is not true, because my audio system works perfectly with my desktop and other notebooks (incl. 7540). I particularly asked if there is some power management feature turning off the audio jack, but it seems they know nothing.

Funny thing is that when I tried to install a driver intended for 7540 it got fixed, but it happens again with all drivers for 7550 and also happens on Linux.

PS: The new keyboard layout of 7550 is awful, why the hack they removed dedicated Home/End/PgUp/PgDown buttons, I cannot grasp. Also subjectively, 7550 seems to produce higher fan noise under full load compared to 7540 (or at least 7540 seemed to have more pleasant fan noise).