The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is command monitor the same as command update?

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have not run any benchmarks on my 7760. Is this site the one to you?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/

Also, do I use CPU-Z to see info on the memory installed?

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, Command | Monitor is for basically reporting system information via WMI, it doesn't have a user-facing piece. I was using it to check the fan sensor readings in PowerShell.

CPU-Z will show memory module information on the "SPD" tab.

(First post actually written from 7560...)

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Observations after using the system for a bit.
    * Love the solid build. I never thought the Precision 7530 was bad, but 7560 seems noticeably more sturdy in the keyboard/palmrest area.
    * When the fans are running I can feel a "draft" just when placing my hand on, say, the left side of the system, on the surface that the laptop is sitting on. I guess it's drawing in a decent amount of air through the bottom.
    * Speakers are noticeably improved compared to the 7530.
    * With the newer audio driver, I'm not getting audio pop sounds. Not sure if this is a fluke or not, but I tried to reproduce it right now and couldn't.
    * Screen is bright, whew, definitely brighter than previous Precision systems that I have used. I usually run at max brightness but here I am happy running at 80%. Glad to have the option to go higher when I'm in a bright environment, though.
    * Still getting used to key placement. The "Home" key is scooted to the left a bit compared to the M6700 and 7530. I hit the "End" key by mistake when I want to hit "Home". I think I'm going to be able to train myself to use Fn for accessing F1-F12 keys (grumble...). Arrow keys don't really bother me but I can see how they would annoy some people.
    * Fans are nice and quiet on a light/office workload. PowerShell reports the fans running at around 1200 RPM. None of my other systems would run the fan at that level; they'd run down to around 2400 RPM, and the next level below that was "off". I do feel like the upper part of the palmrest (top few rows of key and the speaker area) gets pretty warm.
    * Not really a fan of how the Ethernet jack has this flip-down plastic holder thing. Hard to plug the connector into the back of the system while sitting at the front and not looking. (Maybe I'll get used to it.)

5. l4k

l4k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    if you have a laptop with A5000, please take screenshots with the results of the time spy, fire strike and port royal tests

6. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This

7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
  8. ccvortex

Reputations:
    Good stuff Aaron. Some observations from me:
    • I am still getting weird screen flickers now and then. Have updated all drivers, did a clean reinstall of the OS using a generic Win 10 Pro disk, etc. I also disabled the proximity sensor for unattended screen lock. No clue.
    • Be careful when you put the back cover on because the screws on the edges are angled and I nearly stripped one out because I forgot.
    • When installing a new SSD in slots 3, 4 or 5, remember to remove the film and block under the SSD cover, but leave the thermal strip on there ;)
    • Unit does feel more solid than my 7740
    • Am loving the new track pad, it's super slick, feels like polished glass.

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I just noticed that the SD card reader didn't come with a plastic "blank" in it like previous systems did. It's just an open slot. The blank from the 7530 fits fine...

10. ccvortex

Reputations:
    Yeah, noticed that too, DELL is getting cheap.

zhongze12345 likes this.