The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just a short heads-up regarding the PCI-E 4.0 slot: When I tried to install a drive in there I missed the fact that there is a tiny switch that is supposed to be pressed by the plastic frame. I just wanted to run a quick test with an external heatsink and without that silly frame and sure enough nothing showed up as that little switch wasn't pressed.

I still think that this is a very bad design choice by Dell but it is what it is so people should make sure to correctly align the frame in order to assure the switch is pressed.
    Thanks to @win32asmguy for pointing this out to me!

Apart from that I have to admit that I am quite impressed with the 7760 and the 10800H that comes with it. Solid performer with very good connectivity and surprisingly quiet fans for my use case. The only thing that I had wished they'd finally change is the palm rest. Please change this to a material that is less sticky, like the carbon fiber one in the XPS 17.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dunno what to suggest other than maybe try using the NVIDIA driver from Dell. Our setup is pretty similar. (I just have one external display instead of two.)

3. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, the Dell driver is my next try. Thx.

4. RockDr

RockDr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just purchased a 7760 (Xeon W-11955M, 3840x2160 IPS UHD, RTX A5000, 64 gig ECC) and its an absolute weapon compared to the Lenovo X1E I had before.

Also got the WD19DCS dock to go with it, running it with 2 x 27 inch monitors at 2560x1440. Overall the setup works well, have a few questions:
    • Initially I had static noise through my external speakers (plugged into headphone port). I tried to get rid of the Realtek drivers but they kept reinstalling. It seems to have fixed itself for now, but is there a proper fix for this?
    • I have disabled hybrid graphics in the BIOS like I do with all my laptops as I use it mainly for 3D CAD type of work. Is there anything else I can do to maximise performance? I'm not worried about battery life.
    • My Lenovo X1E, which had a touchscreen, ended up with terrible etch marks from the keyboard. I travel a lot so this laptop will be carried in backpacks, bumped around etc. Do the Precisions experience the same etching? I noticed that the Precision screen is a little recessed with the bezel, but the Lenovo was flush.
    Thanks.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Updated to 1.4.0; the undervolt still works. Like @Aaron44126 mentioned, the exploit is pretty obscure, so I doubt this will be patched.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Go to Dell Power Manager and set the thermal mode to "ultra performance" instead of "balanced" — this will slightly up the CPU power limit for higher clock speeds (at the expense of higher fan noise and surface temperature).
    I'm familiar with "keyboard etch marks" on the screen... used to be a common issue on Apple PowerBook systems. I've never observed it on any of my Precision systems. The display is recessed enough, and the display enclosure is quite rigid so it would be difficult for it to be "bent down" for the display to come in contact with the keyboard.

7. jaganna

jaganna Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the 7760 and it should be delivered next week. Very excited!

I have a question about the SSD slots. I know at least one of them supports PCIe Gen 4 speeds (which is why I also bought an extra Samsung 980 Pro).

What about the other 3 slots? Do they also support Gen 4 speeds or are they Gen 3 only? At first I thought they would be Gen 3 only but then on the Dell website you can customise each of them with Gen 4 SSD. Why would Dell offer Gen 4 SSD if the full speed could not be realized?

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Just one supports PCIe4. It's a hard limit. Tiger Lake H only supports 20 PCIe4 lanes. 16 go to the dGPU, and the remaining 4 are available to go to one NVMe slot.

9. jctierney

jctierney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again - it's been a while since I've perused this thread or posted - and perhaps my question has already been answered - there's just a lot to read through in detail.

I was one of the first folks to upgrade to the Crucial Ballistix memory and also added the tip as to how to enable XMP profile in the BIOS. Since then, I've had some pretty significant issues with this particular set of memory. At first, it was great. But then, a week or two later, I started getting occasional BSODs, every day or so. Then, it progressed from there. Then it was every day. Then it seemed every 8 hours, 4 hours, 2 hours, etc. Now, it's every 10-15 minutes. I can barely boot my laptop and use it before I get a BSOD.

However... I decided to experiment a bit.

I tried the different sticks in different DIMMs in multiple configurations - including single configurations. Ultimately, nothing worked. I've since gone back to the original single 8GB stick that came with my laptop. This seems to have helped and all my BSODs have gone away.

With that said, I suppose I have a few questions...
    • Has anyone else run into similar issues with Crucial Ballistix or other RAM?
    • Should I just replace the RAM? Or are there other items I can try? (Note: I've done memory analysis - both in BIOS and Windows and no results)
    • Is there a specific brand/type of RAM that is highly recommended besides Dell RAM? (Which is quite expensive - almost $2k for 128GB vs. the $800 I spent on the Crucial Ballistix)

10. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    When you reverted to the original 8GB stick did you still use an XMP profile?

By "analysis" and "no results" I assume you mean you've run memory tests that reported no errors.

Until you understand the problem in more detail I wouldn't replace the RAM unless you do so as an troubleshooting step. Replacing the RAM assumes the problem is the SODIMMs, which may or may not be the case.

I would be very tempted to contact Crucial technical support with a description of your experience and ask for their thoughts. Their Web site's RAM selector appears to suggest the same RAM for the 7x60, so one would expect they've done some testing/experimenting and might share some insights.

jctierney likes this.