The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualeyes

virtualeyes Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    > Jesus, it is not about battery life, it is about preventing an overloading your battery by draining too high current.

Can you point to any literature that explains this in further detail? You linked to an article on the Razor Blade 15 OLED that mentions increased power usage, but nothing at all about any particular danger to the battery itself.

Again, I run a screen inverter so am effectively in dark mode all the time. From the sounds of it in my setup I'll actually be drawing less power with an OLED screen than with an IPS, thus the interest in going with an OLED display + smaller battery (so I can put two SSDs in the system).

2. Hope752

Hope752 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for that info, I have owned a few precisions in the past. Like always, I'll buy the minimum SSD and ram and take them out, and purchase ram and SSD locally from shop. Evo plus seems to be the best performance for money. Is there anything that I should know about the ram before purchasing? Looking at getting 4x 16 2666 sticks.

3. karman

karman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, it quite obvious and you should figure it out even yourself, just a basic physics... Precision 5000 series uses 11.4V batteries. In order to provide extra 14W for OLED with full brightness and bright image, the battery must provide over 1A of additional current. 1A is really quite a lot. Your are foolishly suborn. Do you want to have a computer which would, for example, explode because you have just installed a new operating system with white wallpaper at default? Do you really want to overstress Li-Ion flammable and explode-able battery? You can configure Precision 5000 with 2TB SSD, isn't it enough for you?

@Dell-Mano_G The Precision 5540 thread is almost dead, so I would like to ask here about the UHD displays in the 5540: the Ultrasharp UHD IGZO4 and the Ultrasharp UHD OLED option. Which is less reflective, less glossy and more matte? I would like to just get a matte UHD option, but it is not available in the 5000 series. Which one has less reflections and is more visible in strong ambient light?

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Your NotebookCheck article is intriguing (and I stand corrected about the power draw of OLED displays), but as @virtualeyes pointed out, it mentions nothing about the additional current draw affecting the battery. Furthermore, notebook batteries are fairly well-protected, given the amount of circuitry involved, and typical Li-ion batteries have a maximum discharge rate of ~2C, i.e you can drain up to twice the capacity in one hour. The 64 Wh battery has a voltage of 7.6 V; hence the capacity is about 8.4 Ah. At a 2C discharge rate, that amounts to about 16-17 amperes. At the battery's voltage, that is a power output of nearly 130 W. Notebooks are strictly power-limited by various software, firmware and hardware limits when on battery power, and it is impossible to reach this sort of discharge rate (at least, under normal use, which includes your 'white wallpaper' scenario). And this is why I said the CPU and GPU outweigh the OLED display's power draw. The CPU can draw up to 80 W, the GPU up to ~60 W. Both are at least 2x the maximum power draw of the OLED display, and won't reach these levels unless the laptop is plugged in (and hence,

You are being rather fatalistic and unrealistic.

You could repeat this question to the XPS 15 7590 community, given that the XPS 15 and Precision 5000 series are exactly the same, save some naming differences.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Hope752 likes this.
  5. Hope752

Reputations:
    Yeah the who OLED argument could be moved to another forum considering the 7740 has no OLED screen.

6. karman

karman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What is wrong with you? Have you finished any school with any classes in physics?

P - electric power in watts
    V - voltage in volts
    I - electric current in amperes

P = V * I

Electric power = Voltage * Current
    Battery voltage = constant (we do not count small variations as the battery discharge)
    More power required (e.g. for OLED display) = more current required at the some voltage

I ma not pessimistic or unrealistic, I am educated. So are engineers in Dell, that is why they require bigger batteries (with more cells) for more current-demanding configurations. For example, bigger battery is also required for 2 SO-DIMM configurations for the same reason.

As far as I know, displays is 5000 series has sometimes different (less reflective) coatings as they are business laptops based on consumer models.

@Dell-Mano_G The Precision 5540 thread is almost dead, so I would like to ask here about the UHD displays in the 5540: the Ultrasharp UHD IGZO4 and the Ultrasharp UHD OLED option. Which is less reflective, less glossy and more matte? I would like to just get a matte UHD option, but it is not available in the 5000 series. Which one has less reflections and is more visible in strong ambient light?

7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    The 97 Wh battery is only required for the 64 GB DIMM configuration. By your logic, you should also not be worried about the OLED display over-drawing from the battery, because, as you so rightly put, the engineers are educated. You can rest assured that they have accounted for the OLED's power draw, a maximum 20 W additional load (assuming the OLED display is displaying #ffffff and at 100% brightness) will not do much to the battery's detriment: maybe you'll see a shorter lifetime and a shorter charge.

Plus, maybe refrain from being so combative, and maybe don't ask people what's wrong with them?

At this point you've asked this question four times in half as many days. May I point you to the Dell subreddit so that you can ask your question there (mention the XPS 15 7590), or the 7590 thread here at NotebookReview? You can repeat your question and you'll probably get an answer, because the Precision 5540 is a re-brand of that XPS.

8. karman

karman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did not intend to attack anybody, buy you have made a false and ridiculous statements. Higher power drain = higher current affecting the battery.
    Precision 5540 has approx. 130W maximum power consumption and 11.4V battery. 130W / 11.4V = ~11.403A.
    Increasing or reducing the current by ~1A by OLED over IPS UHD, or probably even ~2A over IPS FHD makes a significant difference for battery life and safety.
    Remember that high current drained from battery = short battery lifespan and high battery temperatures.
    How many people on Reddit has two units of Precision 5540 with both UHD OLED and UHD IPS to compare them directly side by side? Probably exactly 0. Dell-Mano_G is well informed Dell representative, so he is one of the only few people how might have seen both of the displays or know details of the coating.

9. Hope752

Reputations:
    What's the difference between the 2 finger print scanners? Last time with my 7710, the better one was this horrible yellow thing. Is this still the case?

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I strongly suspect so. The picture of the one with the little black square is the non-FIPS reader (the less expensive one). Next time I buy one of these systems I am going to get the less expensive reader. The FIPS one may be more accurate but it is really slow...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.