The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eclipse2016

Eclipse2016 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for checking out the benchmarks on the E2176M chip, reburns! Very informative for me. Wow, sorry about your M6800 going wonky. I had mine on Windows 10 and it worked quite well. Maybe WIn 7 is the issue on yours? Anyway, happy you are getting new stuff. I had HyperX 2666 on my new machine but had some odd instability problems with it installed. I don't know for sure if it was the RAM, but everything normalized when I replaced it with the recommended ECC RAM.

2. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    No CPU but the Xeons support ECC.

This is an artificial Intel limitation, as AMD has no problems maintaining CPU-side ECC support throughout their entire Zen CPU stack—from the smallest 4C/4T Ryzen 3 1200 to the most recent 64C/128T Epyc 7702/7742.

Typical Intel.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Also that's about the only thing that the Xeons have and Core CPUs don't on the mobile side — ECC memory support. (Oh and that they require you to buy Windows 10 "Pro for Workstations" if you buy a Xeon even though you don't have any of the hardware needed to use its advanced features, other than ReFS.)

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I'd strongly recommend everyone (in the US, at least) save at least $150 or so by opting for Ubuntu instead, and self-sourcing a Windows licence. I asked my country's Dell rep if I could have that option, and for some reason, they couldn't do that. I get Windows 10 Education (basically Enterprise, and therefore no rubbish like Candy Crush) licences for absolutely free of charge from my faculty, so that was a bummer.

6. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As both Aaron44126 and Ionising_Radiation have already pointed you out, the intel chain "xeon+ecc ram+win10pro for workstation" is a "bit" expensive.

An interesting reading about ecc vs non ecc memory is the following:

https://translate.google.it/transla...51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1905382

Maybe this can be helpful for your future purchase.

7. djdigitalhi

djdigitalhi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's not on that page, but it is on the support page under Display. According to that the max is 400 nits... sorry, I don't have a photometer to confirm by region.

Keep in mind this is personal perception, but if you turn it up to the max, it seems like it could handle in quite bright environments without too much problems... Granted, this would kill your battery pretty quickly.

Compared to the 7710 I had, it seems lighter. It's more slim-lined even if only by fractions of an inch, it makes a difference. Granted the power brick is pretty much the same weight even if it is slightly narrower in size. I'm a bit accustomed to a heavier laptop so the weight doesn't bother me too much especially if I'm actively using it. The average build would be around 7 to 8 lbs so, you can use that as a starting gauge. Also there are exhaust vents on the bottom, so heat might not be conducive for long lap sessions.

With the mousepad layout quite close to the edge of the palm rest it makes its lapability a little harder if you use the trackpad a lot ... it was easier on the 7710 with the trackpad and keyboard situated a little higher. After about 2 weeks of use that's the biggest negative so far... that and trying to find a skin for it might be difficult... would hate to get the nice finish scratched.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The vents on the bottom are intake vents. Exhaust vents are on the sides and back. Still, on my 7530 I have noticed that the bottom/back get pretty hot so heat is indeed something to think about if you're thinking about using this as an actual "laptop". I occasionally use mine on my lap but I recommend picking up a folding TV tray table rather than using it right on your couch :p

9. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This might be a hard question of personal preference: what about the 5yr ProSupport/Next Day Onsite Service and Accidental Damage Service?

^^^ I'm wondering about the above if they give you any flack about inserting aftermarket memory and SSDs. I will keep the OEM SSD for OS.

The 5-years DOES add 10% to the cost and I did use that service in the past... although I think Dell sent the service contractors refurbished parts. The only money saver there is to get slower service "Onsite after Remote Diagnosis". I figure my lost work time is worth $1k/day. I've also used the accidental damage twice in the past... once I got hit on my bike with the laptop in backpack and the lid cracked (car took worst beating), and another time a floozy poured wine on the keyboard... lights out!

@kneehowguys - IMHO it can be done but I find 17" a real beast for using on the airplane, etc..

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Using aftermarket parts does not void your warranty. However, if the tech suspects that your issue may be caused by these parts then they can request that you restore the machine to the original hardware setup before performing service. (In practice, I’ve never heard of them doing this.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.