The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope752

Hope752 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a small note, I was able to undervolt my i9 9980hk in my 7740 to about -0.130
    Makes quite a dramatic difference in temp and performance.

2. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you use throttlestop or xtu ?
    Could you post pics of before and after ?

3. Don Patrone

Don Patrone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello

Sorry, my English is not so good. ;)

I have a five year old M6800, i use it for hobby, video and 3D Graphics.
    And i play Games (strategie, simulations....)
    The M6800 is the best notebook I've ever had, it still works without problems since five years.

But after the years I would like a new workstation.
    The Quality of the Workstations is a lot better than all the Gaming-Notebooks.

Which would be the best selection price/performance the Precision 7740.

Should I take a Xeon or an i9 CPU?
    I will expand the Ram myself.
    Which graphics card, the RTX 5000 is almost €1000 more expensive than the RTX 4000
    Is the difference in performance from 8GB to 16GB so big?

I know the 7730 have problems with the temps and the fan noise.
    Have the 7740 the same problems, i dont find a test review.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The only reason to get the Xeon is if you want to use ECC RAM. It is otherwise the same as the i9 if you get the one with the same clock speed.

RTX 4000 and RTX 5000 both appear to have a 110W power cap. I doubt that RTX 5000 will deliver much more performance unless you are going to make heavy use of the tensor or RT cores in it ("regular" games won't touch these). Even though the GPU core is higher spec, it will probably spend most of its time being power throttled. For most people I do not think that it is worth the $1000+ upgrade.

I didn't hear from a lot of people who were seriously concerned about temperatures and fan noise in the 7730, but 7740 is basically the same machine with new CPU and GPU options so I would expect any issues to carry over. There are options that you could take to mitigate this — install proper thermal paste, undervolt the CPU, and look into custom/manual fan control (see link in signature).

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  5. Selnit

Selnit Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my Dell precision 7540 - i9-9980HK, AMD WX3200, 8 GB with 512 GB SSD, long life cycle 97whr battery, 100%sRGB screen Non Touch. It's been 2 days, so far I have done easy works like - Multiple tabs in Firefox, Chrome and Citrix to connect office network. Played videos for few hours.

Yet to do stress test and other stuffs. But what I have observed so far is this - There is no heat issues, Battery lasts for 10 hours. For the past 2 days I connect by 7:30AM and the battery reaches 15% to 10 % by 5:30PM.

6. microdou

microdou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you happen to know how i9 and Xeon perform? I mean, can all cores work at the maximum 5 GHz, or, how many cores can reach maximum frequency at the same time?

I currently own i7-3940XM on M6700, which cannot keep all cores run at the maximum 3.9 GHz.

I really would like to understand how much more performance gain I will get by upgrading to 7740.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No. The max turbo speed advertised is for a single core. The more cores you add, the more the frequency goes down. (Not to mention thermal limits which will push the frequency down under a sustained load.)

microdou likes this.
  8. microdou

microdou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know what the turbo boost frequencies are when ALL 8 cores are working 100% on i9-9980H or Xeon-E2286M?

Is it the base frequency 2.4 GHz? Seems low.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    It's likely to be around 4.4 to 4.5 GHz. The maximum all-core clock is typically around 500 MHz lower than the maximum single-core boost clock.

microdou likes this.
  10. anuraj1

anuraj1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any chance you could remove the bottom cover and find the part number on the motherboard?

I'm gonna try to make one work in my 7530. It'll likely be expensive and won't work with my previous generation Quadro P3200, but I seem to enjoy trying expensive and difficult upgrades that ultimately fail and waste my time

Selnit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.