The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7750 - Change boot disk

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ccastillo579, Feb 25, 2021.

1. ccastillo579

ccastillo579 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

I bought a 1 TB SSD for my Dell Precision 7750. I want to use that disk like my boot disk, because of the lack of space of SSD unit that was shipped with the laptop (256 GB SSD). I do not want to change physical order of disks. Original SSD is attached at 3rd bay and 1 TB SSD is next to it. Is possible change the disk that boots the computer? I mean; no change the 3rd bay disk by other disk, i want the disk at 4th bay (1 TB SSD) be the boot disk (it would be formatted and installed Windos 10 pro before proceed).

Sorry if you find any mistake. English is not my native language.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you never intend to boot from your 256 GB SSD, remove the EFI partition and then it will no longer show up as a bootable device in the BIOS, and the system will default to booting from your 1 TB drive (assuming that you have installed Windows separately onto this drive).

The EFI partition is not deleteable from Windows disk management. You will need a third-party partition tool or the diskpart command-line tool to delete it. (I would recommend just deleting all of the partitions from the drive and creating one large one that spans the entire disk if you intend to use it for storage only.)

Homer S likes this.
  3. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did something similar with my 7550: I turned off the Dell provided drives in 0 and 1 and put a new SSD in 2. After installing my operating system on 2, I can switch between 0 & 1 only or 2 only via BIOS. It is like having two different PCs in the same box. They never see each other.

Homer