The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 77x0 and Sabrent 4TB?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by jharrop, Sep 7, 2020.

1. jharrop

jharrop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone put a Rocket Q 4TB in their workstation?

I've got a 7720, and I've outgrown my 2TB Samsung SSD.

About to replace it with a Sabrent 4TB, and looking for confirmation that it will physically fit before I hit the "buy" button.

https://www.sabrent.com/rocket-q/ says it is 3.7mm fat. There are Amazon reviews saying it won't fit in an XPS 9300 and some unidentified Precision laptop...

thanks for any experiences .. Jason

SvenC likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Interested in this, because I've also been looking at Sabrent Rocket Q for my workstation refresh (planning 2022), or any other "double-sided" 2280 NVMe drive, for maximum possible capacity for my data drive(s).

AFAIK Sabrent is the only major vendor currently selling "double-sided" NVMe drives, with their Rocket Q series. I suspect that it will fit in the Precision 7000-series but not the 5000-series. But I haven't seen any confirmation from someone who has tried it. Basically you need to look to see if there is any clearance below the NVMe drive as mounted in your system for some flash chips on the bottom side of the NVMe drive PCB.

3. jharrop

Reputations:
    Sabrent also now sell an 8 TB variant, but restricting myself to around 4TB, I also found Samsung PM983 and OWC Aura.

Neither of those are available here in Australia, so Sabrent it is.

Yeah, assuming the 3.7mm fat is correct, let's assume 1.85mm from the centre to the bottom edge. Inspecting the 7720, it looks like it'll fit, so I'm going to hit the "buy" button, though I'm also a bit concerned about cooling/heat dissipation (having seen the huge heat sink on one of the other Sabrent offerings)

If it doesn't fit (or runs too hot), my fallback position is to put it in the 2.5" SATA express slot. The Dell way to do this is using a WPTND M.2 interposer, but I'm going to try a "M.2 Ssd To U.2 Adapter 2In1 M.2 Nvme And Sata-Bus Ngff Ssd To Pci-E" off AliExpress! (Wikipedia says the "U.2 connector is mechanically identical to the SATA Express device plug, but provides four PCI Express lanes through a different usage of available pins". We know the 7720's 2.5" bay is X2, but maybe I'd have to be lucky for it to turn out to be compatible with this U.2 connector)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    slimpower likes this.
  4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I was looking and I ran across a couple of other 4 TB drives. Looks like they are starting to become more common (back around May it was just Sabrent).

Corsair has a 4TB "MP510" drive. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...2-SSDs/Force-Series-MP510/p/CSSD-F4000GBMP510
    Also, ADATA has launched 4TB drives. ASX8100NP-4TT-C https://www.adata.com/jo/orderinfo/636

Can't find any other 8TBs... I hope that some more companies launch these over the course of the next 18 months or so. I'm kind of baffled that Samsung doesn't have any 4TB drives (in the consumer space, I see they have that OEM drive). I feel like they're sort of falling behind. (The about-to-launch 980 Pro is also a bit disappointing... Yes, the speed increase is nice and all, but they have cut the TBW rating in half by moving from MLC to TLC, and yet they still have 1TB as the max capacity for that drive...)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    slimpower likes this.
  5. jharrop

Reputations:
    I'm pleased to report that the Sabrent 4TB Rocket Q NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD fits happily into my Precision 7720 :)

I had some difficulty copying the data over from the 2TB 970 EVO (Clonezilla partclone complained of "bad sectors") but I got there in the end.

slimpower and SvenC like this.
  6. slimpower

slimpower Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have been happy with my Sabrent M.2 HDs but had no idea they were doing an 8TB drive now too, that is just insane (needed and welcome, but mad nonetheless). Wow.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Following up on my Samsung 980 Pro complaint. Some new information became available today and it looks like they are going to have a 2 TB version of the 980 Pro after all, "later this year" (some time after the lower-capacity versions launch). No word on other 980 drives as far as I can tell (EVO/QVO).

8. Critical1

Critical1 Newbie

Reputations:
    My 7720 has a 1TB + 2TB NVMe SSDs + 4TB SATA SSD.
    I wish to up the 2TB to a 4TB NMVe, as you have done.
    Please provide the details so I can duplicate -- make/model of SSD, special software updates, etc.
    THANKS.