The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4800 CPU upgrade, TDP concerns

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Anetyr, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just an update.

After a serious and strong worded reply to the seller, he has decided to offer me replacement fans at a cost of USD$6.50 for shipping after a few days' of waiting. My gut feeling is that he is charging me for the two replacement fans but I decided to take up his offer.

Replied to his offer and stipulated my conditions for the replacement fans. Plus I told him to send me a request for payment for goods, stating that it is for the replacement fans, via Paypal.

A few days have passed and I have not heard back from him. I will give him till this weekend to reply or I will start the refund process for both fans.

2. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    @unnoticed @Aaron44126

Alas, after payment for the shipping of the replacement fans three weeks ago, nothing arrived. The seller did not provide any tracking number nor any updates despite repeated follow ups.

I proceeded to file non-delivery of items with PayPal and refund requests with eBay. The seller finally responded upon those requests and stated the replacements were shipped to the wrong customer. A picture of the tracking records for an item that reached my country were then attached to the refund requests with eBay.

He then offered to ship new replacements or provide a refund. He provided the same response in both PayPal and eBay.

I have had enough of this seller and requested a full refund from him in both PayPal and eBay.

I'm blacklisting him after this. Lucky that I did not buy from his website, if not I'll be drawing the short end of the stick.

3. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yeah...I bought another one that passed the customs the other day, got a text early morning at work so I paid it and its here at least and should arrive perhaps on friday.
    I bought it from Aliexpress because I have my escrow plus Aliexpress is always on the buyers side, if there is any issue just send them a pm and they will reply within two days saying your money is on their way back.
    Plus you always see the tracking number and even a link to 17track, I always import my tracking numbers to the 17track app.
    I hate that ebay does this pseudo tracking number on your orders to protect the sellers real location and you have to send the seller an email to request the actual tracking number if any and rarely they can provide any but mostly reply "its untracked" but it will soon arrive in the mailbox.
    Even if its untracked it will display a tracking number on Aliexpress until it reaches the import terminal after it will get a new local tracking number after it passed the customs if its sent as untracked.

I bought a screen panel on ebay from https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/parts_justlaptops
    They sent me the right brand but the wrong panel with lower resolution and I did not see this until I put it in and it was all big and opened a dispute and eBay staff imminently denied the dispute...last few years ebay/paypal has gone from protecting the buyer to ensuring that the seller always win any dispute no matter what..
    And then the seller blocked me, so I bought another panel from Saint Petersburg instead...the russians you can still trust when buying parts.

At least I know the fan is here but yes, no I would not recommend anyone to trade with this seller.
    I just did because there was no other sources for a gpu fan at the moment of purchase..
    But good luck with the refund, Paypal now have very sketchy refund policies

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    DynamiteZerg likes this.
  4. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    Well, finally got my eBay refunds for the original fan purchases but still chasing him up for the PayPal refund for the replacement fans.

5. unnoticed

Reputations:
    mmm that's good at least, I am trying to get the amd gpu to work with switchable graphics as I get bsod PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA starting some programs, Libre office did not start until disabling opengl and yesterday I found newer drivers on amd website and uninstalled driver in safe mode with guru3d tool and ran the driver exe and it got stuck at 67%...still the same after an hour so I killed the power and now it won't start, and in cmd in startup repair could not mount the system partition... so... yep.
    I have my macrium reflect image so I will boot parted magic and backup my files and do a new install and run tests... I also have several things to change before I make another backup.
    I have my work computer that I can use and also my phone so I can still conduct my business while running tests and configs before making the backup ready for daily use and after that further stress testing everything until its ready for mission critical use which is what I always configure my devices for.

Windows update immediately replaces the Dell oem driver if Driver foundation is on, and in Amd Catalyst there in an auto-update feature that will replace the catalyst client which brakes switchable graphics so you need to disable update in settings before connecting to the network.
    On amd website there are two drivers, one for HP switchable and one for Dell oem enterprise switchable released June 5
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-19-q2-1

With both Driver foundation and catalyst update the switchable brakes and the gpu fan is on and off which is not needed because the air is cold that comes out even if it ramps up

I'll make another try when I get home later today

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. unnoticed

Reputations:
    Customs was slow, they kept the parcel for almost an entire month but I received the fan in the mail and surprisingly they sent in through the mailbox.
    Starting last year new routines against parcel pirates now states that all parcels registered or unregistered parcels are scanned into the database to verify that the parcel did in fact arrive and I got this notification in the parcel tracking app when I was at work around midday.
    Its in better condition than my first fan, it has a dent but its not the end of the world..I can mend this little bend in a minute.

At least I got my parcel ...now I can put my issues with cmyhub behind me

DynamiteZerg likes this.
  7. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    @unnoticed cmyhub just ignored my messages to him in PayPal for the refunds for the replacement fans. So I've escalated to PayPal for arbitration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.