The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Reformat Vista for XP on Dell Vostro 1500

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by awwitzjerreey, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try reading the thread. Moidock's post on the first page and mario666's post on the second page are pretty good starters.

2. awwitzjerreey

awwitzjerreey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am planning to use the slipstream method to get the SATA drivers running before installing XP. How do I make a slipstream disk with XP and SATA drivers using nLite?

3. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Follow mario666's instructions. nLite is intuitive to use. It will create an iso file for you to burn onto a CD.

4. ditoa

ditoa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I installed XP Pro SP2 on my V1500 today. Nothing different than a normal install as far as I could tell.

As I installed with AHCI enabled rather than ATA I needed the storage controller drivers while installing. I just used an external floppy drive and hit F6 while installing then selected the 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI option (second in the list).

Once installed I installed the chipset drivers first and then the intel storage matrix manager (which I got from intel.com as the Dell support site didn't list it). Then I just installed whatever my mouse clicked first.

I installed the audio drivers (sigmatel) and it found the modem so I installed those at the same time and everything sorted itself out just fine.

5. awwitzjerreey

Reputations:
    the dell media center button is the one next to the power button right?

6. awwitzjerreey

Reputations:
    I made the slipstream disk with the 2 drivers mario666 mentioned. When Windows try to start, I get the blue screen. What do I do now?

7. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So you installed Windows XP and when you restart you get the blue screen?

8. awwitzjerreey

Reputations:
    I still have vista installed. When it tried to do the windows installation process, I get the bsod. I can not even get to the screen with the options for partitions. I get bsod for both original and slipstreamed windows disks. The SATA Operation is set to default at AHCI. Note that all this is happening during the Windows Setup. Nothing happens when I press F6. Any help?

9. th3v0!d

th3v0!d Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    if you have a windows xp pro with sp2 (cd key) then you can install the sata without slipstreaming cuz the sata drivers are already built in.... if not, tough luck, you have to slipstream.

Oh and that whole thing about not being able to press the media direct button... that is ridiculous... its like you are setting yourself up for time bomb. there has to be a way out of that. I wouldnt want anything like that. Hope this doesnt apply to the xps1530

10. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't know why you would get a BSOD during install. When I made my XP CD, I included both SATA drivers and chipset drivers.

My recollection from a previous desktop install of XP is that you're given the option to press F6 when the installer is loading drivers (screen is blue), but you won't get a dialog asking for the drivers until the installer finishes with the initial driver load from the XP CD.

So it BSODs before you get to this screen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.