The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Reformat Vista for XP on Dell Vostro 1500

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by awwitzjerreey, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. th3v0!d

th3v0!d Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  2. th3v0!d

th3v0!d Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, I think that should work.

4. awwitzjerreey

awwitzjerreey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot all of you guys. I finally got XP running fine on XP PRO SP2.

5. Moidock

Moidock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anytime. ;)

6. Obviousman

Obviousman Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone assist me in doing an install here?

I've the Vostro 1500, but mine came with XP Home. I have a copy of XP Pro, but when I put it into the disk drive, it says it cannot install because the version on the HDD is newer.

I've tried to get the laptop to boot from the CD, but regardless of how I set the boot menu, it just boots into XP Home rather than boot the CD installation.

I'm trying to find out some step-by-step instructions. I've done reformats and clean installs of Win98 previously, and a clean install of XP Pro on this desktop, but have never done a reformat / install on a laptop.

I have read the thread, but have no idea what you mean by a 'slipstream', etc. I need to try and find a pretty much layman guide to do this.

I had planned to simply reformat the HDD and install XP Pro, but I see there are issues which will bring me unstuck (SATA drivers; AHCI, etc. I have only ever used IDE HDDs).

Can anyone help? Thanks!

7. Obviousman

Obviousman Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, I've done the reading and figured out slipstreaming. That's the method I intend to follow. I've got the R154200 storage drivers (Intel Matrix Storage Manager) from the drivers disk.

Some questions:

1. Once installed, can I use the Dell drivers disk to automatically update all the required drivers, or do I have to manually replace the drivers for each instance?

2. My XP Pro CD is an original from a few years ago, not SP2 (although I have SP2 ready to go as soon as XP Pro is installed). Does this affect the process?

3. Is MediaDirect worth reinstalling? I have never used it, but figure it might be worth having it on there to prevent a nasty accident happening if someone presses that little button.

8. Obviousman

Obviousman Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm getting the same problems - BSOD after the initial start, unable to load drivers with F6 option because I don't have a FDD, etc.

awwitzjerreey,

Can you explain how you resolved the problem?

9. Obviousman

Obviousman Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried to do an ATA installation, but found that the BIOS was set to ATA anyway (not AHCI); it says it is the default; in any case the same problem appeared.

In case anyone can decipher this, the BSOD was:

0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
    pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, datestamp 3b7d855c

10. Obviousman

Obviousman Newbie

Reputations:
    Problem found: I had to slipstream in the SP2 pack, then it would install. I'm doing the disk reformat at the moment (the long one); hopefully the install process will go without a hitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.