The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Reformat Vista for XP on Dell Vostro 1500

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by awwitzjerreey, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billcsho

billcsho Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The SATA driver is not part of the SP2 but included in a much later release of OEM WinXP CD (around last June). So even if you have a SP2 CD, it does not necessary mean you have the SATA driver on it. I slipstreamed the SATA driver into an SP2 CD from 2006. It was easy (except that I cannot burn the CD directly but did that manually from the directory afterward).

2. awwitzjerreey

awwitzjerreey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I get BSOD right before that screen. It occurs right after loading the files from the CD. Derkaiser, do you have AIM or something so I can get assistance sooner? Thanks

3. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry, no IM.

When you made your CD with SATA driver, did you get a this dialog window?

[​IMG]

What did you include?

4. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This thread might be helpful since it sounds like he's getting the BSOD at the same place you did.

What is the error when you get the BSOD?

5. awwitzjerreey

Reputations:
    I included the Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E) and the Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M) mario666 mentioned. How come I get BSOD even though Vista is still installed properly? Shouldn't there be SATA drivers working properly already?

6. awwitzjerreey

Reputations:
    I am in exactly the same situation as townends11 and there was no solution. Any help?

7. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The XP installer can't use the Vista driver, it needs to load its own driver, either from the CD or elsewhere (by hitting F6).

When you used the non-slipstreamed XP CD, did you hit F6 and did it BSOD before you were prompted to provide drivers?

8. awwitzjerreey

Reputations:
    Hitting F6 leads me to a screen to specify additional device. It asks me to insert Manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk into Drive A:. I do not know what to do here so I went back to let it load the files. The BSOD occurs after it loads the last file from the CD. I have never reached a point where I was prompted to select a driver.

9. DerKaiser

DerKaiser Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, if you can find a USB floppy drive, you can put the drivers on a floppy and install them from there.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is to install in IDE mode then force the SATA driver to load after XP is installed. Then go into the BIOS and switch to AHCI mode. Some people have tried that and have had the installer say it can't install. But it seems like you could force loading from the Device Manager. I'm really running out of ideas here.

You might look here
    for some ideas.

10. awwitzjerreey

Reputations:
    If I put the drivers on a USB drive, do I leave it in the extracted format .inf?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.