The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Upgrading the DGFF GPUs in the Precision 7530 & 7730

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Ionising_Radiation, Aug 6, 2019.

1. deb0ro

deb0ro Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was just thinking about it and RTX 4000 will be the best option together with 90W BIOS I believe.

Great, thanks for the confirmation! Now the hunt for the parts begin :D

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    If you're interested, I have a spare Quadro RTX 3000 that I can let go for cheap. My current RTX 5000 might also become freed up if my 7560 replacement comes to fruition, and I can let that go for cheap, too.

3. deb0ro

deb0ro Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, lets discuss that via PMs then :)

4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    In view of my Precision 7530 swap to the 7560, I will now have a spare RTX 5000 heatsink, RTX 5000 DGFF2, and RTX 3000 DGFF2. I will let these go once I swap the system.

5. Dlenz

Dlenz Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I got a 7740, so I need a DGFF3. Is it still possible to order through you? I currently have an rtx 3000, but I am interested in the rtx 5000.

6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Terribly sorry, but I've closed group orders for a long while now. You should be able to find RTX 5000s on eBay, though...

7. Dlenz

Dlenz Newbie

Reputations:
    I see, that's sad for me. Can I ask then at least how did you contact Dell for these prices? I attempted to contact Dell US - spare parts sales dept. and I got a price of $4800+tax for the RTX 5000 graphics card alone... I can get the whole 7760 with an A5000 for cheaper than that :D There are a few pieces on eBay like you said, but still not very affordable as it would be still cheaper to sell mine and buy a new laptop.

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It was Dell Singapore for some reason (probably in error) selling the cards very cheap during the launch timeframe. They corrected the price after a few weeks.

You can try the "make an offer" feature on eBay and you might be able to get one for as much as 40% off of the list price (with some patience/perseverance). But probably out of luck if you are hoping to get one for lower than that.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    In particular, their internal software had put the Quadros and the Intel iGPU passthrough cards in the same price bracket, so I got them very cheap.

@Dlenz, eBay's prices are fairly okay... ~$1400 for an RTX 5000 DGFF3, which (kind of) matches up with the upgrade cost originally quoted by Dell.

10. Dlenz

Dlenz Newbie

Reputations:
    I see. So there I go missing another dope opportunity haha. Happens.

Yeah, I understand how $1400 is a fair price. But for exactly $1400 I can build my own egpu encloser and put in it a desktop rtx 3070 or I could sell my laptop and buy me a new workstation with the rtx 5000 and have it under warranty. I am mainly scared to pay $1400 for a computer component that may not work without the warranty, or which I may not be able to install in the end and will not know for sure whether the issue is with me or with the component. And even tho the eBay prices may be fair towards Dell upgrade price, I don't particularly agree with Dell prices. I am very happy with my precision, but I would have never bought it for the price that Dell sells it for.

I guess I will wait a little bit longer anyway, and then I will see.I already assume though, that I won't be upgrading to a new laptop but I will either upgrade the DGFF card or I will buy an egpu