The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

What do you think about DELL LATITUDE D630?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Lawrence, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence

Lawrence Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please put some comments about its advantages and disadvantages.
    For those who has Latitude d630, Please post your experiences.

Thanks!
    :)

2. mark123can

mark123can Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I like it,ordered 1 but my order has been delayed like the 1330 orders because of lack of parts,apparently dell has no lcd screens or something so expect to wait maybe a month+ on delivery
    If i was buying inn cash id go ibm but dell owe me a system so im stuck waiting on my d630
    Im in ireland by the way and i know a lot of people from the uk in particular are anxiously awaiting their laptops from the irish factory
    god knows when we will get them but it better be soon

3. Duckk

Duckk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Pretty good business-type laptop. Decent weight, build quality. Could use a slightly larger touchpad.

4. Askarii

Askarii Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The latitude D630 is one amazing machine. Let me get down to basics ;)

Pros:
    Very sturdy, you really feel the difference between the magnesium alloy from the D630, and the typical plastic casing from consumer notebooks.

THE BATTERY LIFE IS INSANE! On windows vista, wi-fi on, browsing internet + using MS word, screen 2 notchs above lowest setting I get a nifty 5h10 minutes!
    (ofc, I shut off ports that I don't use in the bios: paralelle ports, docking ports, pci ports, bluetooth etc.)

The screen brightness is EXCELLENT, it ranges from very low brightness to: ow! this hurts my eyes! :p (it actualy does hurt your eyes when u suddenly switch to full brightness in the darkness of your room :D )

The key board has minimal flex and typing is a true pleasure, especially after using ACER keyboards for 1 year :eek:

The santa rosa platform is great, and the specs I got (see signature) make this system my new love.

Cons:
    Nothing really, except that the bios auto-refuses hacked OS software :p
    tbh, the only thing that marginally bothers me is probably the heat that gathers up around the docking port, its nothing major, just thats where the only heat is :p

Silence and cooling:
    My fans just about never kicked in to full speed, or at least I never heard them (and I work in quiet spaces). And this is true even during PCmark05 and 3dmark05. The cpu stays super cool. The only peice of my notebook which gets warm is my HDD, it is a 7200 rpm after-all. This machine is extremely quiet, and runs very cool, I have no worries what-so-ever about over heating.

Practicality:
    what I REALLY enjoy about this machine is the immediatly swapabble optical drive (just press a clip which pops out, and pull the optical drive out). and same thing for the HDD (just unscrew two little screws and pull it out, no need to open the casing)

hope this helps ;)

EDIT: my delivery, even with the +7 days due to WXGA+ screen, took only 7 days ;) which was suppsoed to take 18 days in all :D

Also, the online service for the business notebooks is excellent, and thats really a +

5. Lawrence

Reputations:
    Thanks guys...for others Please give more comments...
    I think delayed shipments is a small problem...please have some patience.
    It will come eventually. Latitude Rockz!
    How about its casing? Looks? Performance? Easy-to-handle? durability? etc

6. Lawrence

Reputations:
    Please tell more about the product...I read that it has a wifi locator even your computer if off. that's amazing! isnt it? How will you used it? I love wifi... how about its anti shock features? what if the battery is only 6 cell?
    Again Thanks!

7. staffsMike

staffsMike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 9 cell battery sticks out the front of the laptop not the back. You get a rubberised wrist rest which is actually quite comfortable to use.

I don't particularly like the laptop to be honest. I mean it does the job perfectly and for business use its great...I just find it a bit boring.

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Business class notebooks are supposed to be boring.

9. amitface

amitface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A laptop is only boring if you do boring stuff with it. A Dell M1330 can be boring too if all I do is type up word documents on it.

10. davron

davron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    oops... it's good, and bad at the same time ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.