The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

What do you think about DELL LATITUDE D630?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Lawrence, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elmo18

Elmo18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The D630 is very nice. I'm using mine for about a month now. Just good things.

Only one side thing which distracted me were the drivers for the NVS 135M. Took awhile of searching to find a decent one. I hope Nvidia upgrades the drivers...

2. Homer_Jay_Thompson

Homer_Jay_Thompson blathering blatherskite

Reputations:
    I had my D630 for almost about 2-3 weeks now and it works great. The keyboard works almost flawlessly and the screen is bright and clear. The 9 cell battery will last more than 5 hours. The case is extremely sturdy. I think it is just as sturdy as a Thinkpad T61. My only complaints are minor ones. The vertical viewing angles are terrible. I think Dell could have done a better job on that. I also think the hinge could be a little tighter. If I drop my laptops just a few inches on to my lap, the lid moves about an inch forward. I do not think it should move at all if I just drop my laptop on my lap.

3. SuperChick

SuperChick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I love my D630, but I'm wondering if anyone has issues with your laptops getting hot (when resting wrists on either side of the touch pad)? I suppose I could use a small towel...

Thanks

4. dordale

dordale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SuperChick--I don't have that problem at all. Even after I've been using the laptop for several hours, it's still comfortable to rest my wrists on. It does get a little warm on the bottom--but not too bad that's it's super uncomfortable on my legs.

Not sure what's causing your laptop to get hot...I've read several posts from D630 users commenting on how cool their laptops were running.

dordale :)

5. SuperChick

SuperChick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have to say my D630 was under marathon mode for a 51 page midterm :eek:

I ran it for nearly eight hours of continuous use... alternating battery w/ adapter power lol

Thanks for the reply dordale :)

6. captbri

captbri Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got 12 of these in use around my office. So far the response has been very good.

The only problem I've had is that in Windows XP Pro, the O2 Micro driver breaks all flavors of the Citrix client. I had to reinstall the OS from scratch and take care to never manually load, or let auto update load these drivers.

Other than that everybody loves them.

Specs are below
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Base Unit:
    Latitude D630, Intel Core 2 Duo T7100, 1.80GHz, 800MHz, 2ML2 Cache, Dual Core (222-7946)

Processor:
    14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD for Latitude D631 (320-5288)

Memory:
    1.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 1 DIMM for Dell Latitude Notebooks (311-5686)

Video Card:
    Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Latitude D630 (320-5298)

Hard Drive:
    80GB Hard Drive 9.5MM 7200RPM for Latitude DX30 (341-4568)

7. 1138

1138 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What do you actually mean by this? So I can only install a certain OS that Dell approves? It won't let me install an OS that didn't come with the computer? The BIOS communicates with Microsoft every time I boot the system to make sure my OS is not "hacked"?

What if I install Linux?

What if I buy Vista a few years later but find out that MS refuses to activate them anymore (to force an upgrade to whatever's after Vista) and had to use a crack in order to use my legally purchased software?

Can you clarify that?

8. phamster

phamster Newbie

Reputations:
    @captbri: how do u find the Core 2 Duo T7100, 1.80GHz. ordered the same CPU on mine but now wonder whether a 4MB cache wouldnt be worth it, especially with a 7200rpm HDD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.