The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

What do you think about DELL LATITUDE D630?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Lawrence, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Askarii

Askarii Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tinapay, try calibrating your screen with some open source software, it makes a HUGE difference from the default calibration. But don't seek to compare the screen to a true-life glossy screen, it is not in the same game. The matte screen on the D630 is made to avoid most reflections off of the screen so you can continue to read without struggling, and I stand to say the Matte screen on my d630 is doing what it is meant to do, I'm using it out in the arizona sun as we speak ;)
    About your HDD, which model do you have? I haven't had that problem even when doing full-blown tests and while downloading a 3 gig file... you should contact dell support about this, they will replace the HDD for you, if you are willing to go through the trouble of re-installing everything :p (i find that better then a sudden HDD crash due to instability)
    About the no web-cam... its a buisness notebook... buy an external one that straps to your lcd screen :p thats the same as my little bro saying: 'you don't have two headphone jacks!?...' (no... its a buisness notebook, not a multimedia consumer notebook :p)

Ciprah_kapa,

For your last question, yes this notebook feels like a tank, its insanely rigid. as a matter of fact i have a lenovo T60 beside me and a hp dv6000. The d630 feels as solid as the T60... and both the T60 and the D630 make that little hp consumer notebook feel like it came from fisher price.
    And there are by all means no ventilation problems, the heat doesn't build up under the notebook, its simply the HDD stable temperature which is around 46 celsius, and it doesn't budge from that number. Under heavy load it went up to 48 celsius (thats the hottest I have been able to get it, and that isnt hot). About the heat around the docking port, it gets to that temperature 2 min after you boot the machine up, but never gets warmer, so it isn't really an issue. The system's temperature 2 min after booting and 2 min after 2h of intense benchmarking and gaming aren't much different, the systems temperature is very very stable, so don't worry about ventilation and heat.

2. Lawrence

Lawrence Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How about the wifi catcher? do you know how to use it, if the computer is turn off? I read that it can be used to find an open wifi even if the laptop is off.

3. Askarii

Askarii Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it only detects wifi, thats all it does.

Wi-Fi Catcher light — The light operates as follows:

o Flashing green: Searching for networks
    o Solid green: Strong network found
    o Solid yellow: Weak network found
    o Flashing yellow: Error
    o Off: No signal found

you use it by holding the switch on the 'momentary middle section' :p and you see what the light tells you.

Its only really practical if say... you are in a restaurant or a cafe or w-e, and are wondering if there is wireless around. Or if you enjoy using peoples unsecured networks :D

4. Lawrence

Reputations:
    thank you very much for the information! Now, im confident to Latitude D630.
    For others who wants to comment Please post...Thanks

5. dordale

dordale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had my D630 for just about a week now, and I'm extremely happy with it.

My specs:
    Core 2Duo T7300 (2ghz 4M cache)
    Win XP Pro SP2
    WXGA LCD
    1g Ram
    80GB 7200 HDD
    8x DVD+/-RW
    128 NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M Video Card
    9 cell battery

Haven't found anything to really complain about yet. The 9 cell battery does stick out the front of the laptop, but I kinda like it--makes a good wrist rest. Great battery life too-->6 hrs. I'm happy with the quality of the screen--haven't watched any movies on it yet though. I like the feel of the keyboard--it's really nice to type on.

The only complaint I have (and it's minor) is the quality of the onboard speakers. This isn't too big a problem for me, but don't expect great sound unless you use external speakers or headphones.

dordale :)

6. Tinapay

Tinapay Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i have the 7200RPM 160GB

7. zwoerdkop

zwoerdkop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm leaning towards this solid performer, but it is a real change of course, cuz it was all glossy screen that was on my mind.

I will do some on-site photo and video editing. Will I dissappointed with the matte screen? What do you think?:confused:

8. Lawrence

Reputations:
    how about M1330 VS Latitude D630?

9. Duckk

Duckk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They're aimed at different markets and for people with different requirements, so it's not a terribly useful comparison.

10. tcxac

tcxac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i've had my d630 for about a month now and so far, i am extremely satisfied. the keyboard feels great, a little sturdier than most consumer line laptops i've used in the past, but there is a bit of flex on the right side, nothing too worrisome though.

the battery runs for around 4.5-5 hours when i have windows media player, word, aim, and firefox on, so i'm happy :)

mine took about 10 days to get to me, and it got to me about 3 days before the estimated delivery date, so another thing that pleased me.

all in all i think i made the right decision to purchase this product. hope yours works perfectly well for you and that you're satisfied :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.