The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 5510 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The boot option for the old drive remains, I suppose, because the EFI partition (where the boot loader is stored) has not been deleted. You can't delete this from disk management. If you're up for it, I recommend that you delete all partitions on your old drive and then create a new one that spans the entire drive to use for extra data. (If you don't want to do this, you can right-click on the "D:" drive in disk management and "extend" it to fill up the remaining unallocated space.)

To delete the recovery and EFI partitions, you will need to use the diskpart command-line tool, as the option is blocked from Disk Management.

Open command prompt as administrator and then type "diskpart". Then, follow these steps.

Type: "list disk". A list of disks should be displayed. Confirm the disk number for your old drive based on the listed size (476 GB), it should be disk 0.
    Type: "select disk X" where "X" is the number of your old drive (0 most likely).
    Type: "list partition". A list of partitions should be displayed that mirrors what you see in Disk Management.

Now you will do the following for each partition listed.
    "select partition X" where "X" is the number of the first partition listed.
    "delete partition override" to delete the partition.
    "list partition" to show the partition list again.
    Repeat until there are no partitions left.

After this is done, Disk Management should show "unallocated" space for the entire drive. Right-click on this space and create a new volume and then you should be able to format it.

custom90gt likes this.
  2. CarbonChauvinist

CarbonChauvinist Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what's up with the BIOS on the support page? Seems like they've removed their 1.8.0 update that was there from sometime in August and only have the 1.7.0 showing currently?

Also, in a related question, has anyone experienced any issues with Turbo Boost on their models? I have the i5-6440HQ with intel graphics only and am unable to have Turbo Boost enabled (have disabled via BIOS) as having it enabled causes hangs/freezes on all operating systems I've tried (many linux distros with all/any kernel versions - tested from 4.3 all the way to current 4.18.11, and windows 10 as well).

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can also use the command "clean" after selecting the disk to clean all partitions on that disk...

Aaron44126 likes this.
  4. indup

indup Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    aaron thanks again for your time and help

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yesterday I was wondering the same about the BIOS. However 1.8.0 has reappeared with today's date. However, the file size is identical to the previous 1.8.0 and both have the same digital signature date (Jul 2018).

I've noticed no problems with TurboBoost on my i7-6820HQ CPU. Is there anything in the diagnostics in the BIOS which you could run which might reveal a problem?

John

6. CarbonChauvinist

CarbonChauvinist Newbie

Reputations:
    Came here to say just this exact same thing. Guess I'll just leave it as is and wait for the next update.

I'll give it a look and see.

7. mazzy80

mazzy80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    For Win 7 installation, you suggest to use dell branded driver for intel graphics or the intel generic on web site ?
    I see the Intel one are on train 15.xxx the Dell one are on 21.xxx
    thanks

8. indup

Reputations:
    5510 connected via double ended hdmi cable to monitor gives refreh rate 49hz instead of advertised 60hz. do you have to use displayport cable to get full 60hz?

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What resolution monitor? I can confirm that 1080p works at 60 Hz on this machine with HDMI. Higher resolutions will be less, you need DisplayPort for 60 Hz at 1440p (maybe...) or 4K. (Actually you will need a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter because there is no native DisplayPort on this system...)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  10. indup

Reputations:
    it is dell u3417w resolution 3440x1440. i have tried a cable i had lying around a hdmi out from 5510 and mini displayport into monitor but the monitor didnt recognise any connection. do you think hdmi out with full size displayport into the monitor would work?

regarding usb type c to displayport adaptor you definitely need the adaptor, a displayport to usb-c lead wouldnt work? and when using this type of cable is there anything you need to change in the 5510 settings. im not very familiar with usb -c. is usb-c and thunderbolt exactly the same thing?

i was thinking about getting a dock for the times when i want to use the laptop not connected to the monitor and itd be easier just disconnecting 1 cable each time but these new type are all new to me im use to the old replicators. there is the d3100-usb 3.0-£175; dell thunderbolt dock tb16-£287; business dock wd15-£201. i suppose any of these would do the job i require,is there any preference one better than the other? also wondering are there any products from other manufacturers available that do the same job?