The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 5510 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like we should have at least 4 people with Dell Precision 5510's this week. As threeply said, it is "Time for an 5510 owners lounge."

All questions are welcomed. Please keep answers based posted and verified information.

Please leave the personal opinions to the people that actually own the systems.

alexhawker likes this.
  2. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Reserved 1

3. Tyler Klein

Tyler Klein Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got mine today. Turning off pinch to zoom markedly improved two finger scrolling in Chrome and Firefox. Edge is pretty slick. Screen is crazy good.

ygohome and Bokeh like this.
  4. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How's the keyboard in terms of travel and springiness (and compared to a Lenovo if anyone has one to hand)?

5. Phinehas

Phinehas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The weight of my 5510 system is 4.5 lbs (4 lbs. 8 oz.). The keyboard travel is a bit short IMO but not excessively so.

ygohome likes this.
  6. threeply

threeply Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How's the noise and temp levels when plugged in and running light, medium, heavy workloads.

What screen scaling do you prefer?

7. Phinehas

Phinehas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've noticed very little heat and when the fans come on they are relatively quiet. I haven't done a lot at this point but I have opened decently sized files in AutoCAD and 3DS Max, streamed high res. video, downloaded over 40 GB in software etc. Still trying to get a feel for it though.

I initially dropped it to 200% from the 250% that is standard but changed it back. I have noticed that toolbars etc. in certain programs (3DS Max) are painfully small to render them unusable. I haven't delved into the program settings to see if there are options to adjust this, but I somehow doubt a lot of these programs are designed to handle 4K resolutions. AutoCAD scales everything properly though.

Just noticed a glitch. Went to wake up the machine (which was plugged in) and upon opening it had the screen brightness lowered such as it would do if only on battery. I then unplugged the power source and the brightness increased as if it were plugged in. I then replugged in the power source and the screen brightness dimmed back! First time this has happened so will definitely have to figure that one out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    ygohome likes this.
  8. Gudi

Gudi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    key travel is 1,3mm compared to 1,6mm industry standard. Surface Book is between 1,4-1,5mm.

9. mtalinm

mtalinm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    jeez, that's less travel than my Surface Pro snap-on keyboard.

can you mention which chip you have? reviews of xps15 i5 models have said no throttling / little fan, but I'm curious how the i7-hq and xeons perform in such a thin chassis.

looking forward to battery-life findings, though certainly you'll need a few days to ascertain...

10. bobthebarker

bobthebarker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    alright, could someone clue me in on "travel time" in regards to keyboard?