The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    New motherboard did not fix it...

2. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Something that made me crazy for months (and maybe can help someone else):

At some point after 3-4 bios update, my 7740 started doing a real annoing thing: almost everytime it goes in deep sleep (not full sleep), with external monitor blank, after wake up the explorer shell is in crash and I need to perform a manual restart from task manager to resolve.
    Initially I was thinking about a too-low undervolt in throttlestop, but even with -75mV the problem sometimes still persist. So in the end I tried to rise the 'System Agent' voltage to +150mV, due to the fact that theorecally it impact the memery controller and the pciex and I have 2x2tb nvme and 4x16gb ram that can have a high impact on sub-system stability and bingo! No more crash and now I can come back to my original undervolt of -140mV on cpu core and cache and in-line with my original performances:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  3. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello, just few days ago my M6800 GPU (980m) bit the dust so i think after 7 years of ownership its time for a new(er) machine and to retire the old M6800 into home server or w\e.

Im looking into direction of 7540/7740 and wondering if discounts around 30% via Dell Outlet chat are still known to happen? My initial Dell M6600 had a list price of 1200$, and in the end i got it down to 840$+Tax. Then my M6800 was around 1300$ and dropped down to 950ish$ + tax.

Reason i ask is to understand if shipping it to EU would be worth that hassle or just try to source it "locally". Problem is usual refurb resellers in eu dont offer any form of Dell warranty and i really got hooked into it, as it was best possible service i could get in Croatia. New precision prices in EU are astronomical and out of my budget.

4. darkydark

Reputations:
    Anyone knows if, on Precision 7740, aluminium lid and "carbon fiber" one are the same? Meaning can I change "carbon fibre" lid for aluminium one?

I've found 2x PN for carbon fibre/ black FPJN7, 18KNK 1x for alu 6NGVC, but I'm not able to find any information about compatibility between them

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Some lids have accommodations for WWAN antennas and some do not. And the camera bit could be different (standard camera, IR camera, no camera). It seems that the IR camera and WWAN support are mutually exclusive for some reason, on systems as configured by Dell.

6. darkydark

Reputations:
    So if I find alu lid with WWAN support i should be ok, seeing as i have regular FHD display with normal cam and I've seen WWAN antenas when i was adding SSDs, and according to spec sheet i should have 18KNK.

Any1 here with IR camera and Silver lid that could lookup their PN for lid so i know what to avoid? :p

7. htfan

htfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a 7740 with an IR webcam and an aluminum lid, this is what I found: Screenshot.png

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    darkydark likes this.
  8. zer0gravity

zer0gravity Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone done a screen swap or upgrade from FHD to 4k?

I have a FHD 7740 and looking to upgrade to a 4k screen.

What 4k panel would you suggest (also would get a 40-pin cable). Thanks for any help, it seems like you might have done a screen swap?

Thanks,

Z

9. 84Lion

84Lion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a Dell M7740 with i9-9980HK processor and NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 graphics card.

I had the BIOS setting on “switchable graphics” with the included Intel processor graphics controlling things. I wanted to do some tweaking of the UHD display (bad idea) so I opened the Intel Graphics Command Center and started adjusting the display settings. Suddenly the screen just went black. Don’t know what did it. Of course with the screen blacked out there is no way to shut down gracefully, so I rebooted. That seemed to fix it; the computer came back up with the Intel Graphics program open, so I set it to reset everything back to the original settings, and it blacked out for good. I tried rebooting and could not get anything to come up after the splash screen. I rebooted and went into the BIOS and changed from the “switchable graphics” setting to the “direct output” so that I would use the graphics card. That worked.

Anyone have any idea why the computer exhibited that behavior? I tend to set the brightness very low, but then when I adjusted the brightness with the Fn+Brightness keys, all I got was a brighter black screen.

More importantly, if I would go back to “switchable graphics” and use the Intel processor graphics, if it does go black again, is there any button I could push on the keyboard to get the screen back (other than hitting the power button and doing a reboot)?

10. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could try if resetting the graphics driver with Win+Ctrl+Shift+B does help.