The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    I'm looking to get these same kits as you...

not the HX432S20IBK2 as those can't be found anymore i think because they rebranded them to Fury.

There are 2 SKU's though....

1. KF432S20IB1K2 ... which is a dual rank (like the Impact was) ... meaning 16x 1GB chips on a stick (2 rows of 4 on the front and back)
    2. KF432S20IBK2 ... which is a single rank (8x 2GB chips on the stick, 1 row of 4 chips on front and back)

From my past experience the majority of problems on Precisions using DDR4 (7510/7710 and newer) is from using Dual Rank memory.

... have you tried them yet?

2. gutentaghallo

gutentaghallo Newbie

Reputations:
    Not yet, I'm looking for a good Black Friday deal.
    I wasn't aware about the two different SKU's, thanks for mentioning it

I've checked the Kingston website, and it looks like there are just "sixteen 2G x 8-bit" versions available for 32GB modules.

They just offer 32GB single modules and the 2*32GB module kits

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KF432S20IB_32.pdf
    https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KF432S20IBK2_64.pdf

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  3. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    Ah ok, i was checking for the 16GB modules, there are 2 variants there, the 32GB only exists in 16x 2G chips variant....

I don't need to go to 128GB... i would just like to get the 3200MHz :D
    Planning to buy 2 sets of 2x16GB @ 3200MHz if i can get a good deal anywhere tomorrow... :)

4. Carlosmoto

Carlosmoto Newbie

Reputations:
    I response my own question the promel is this: "Turboboost" not working, one time disabled, the boot is normal, and all works correctly.

5. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    Could not get the RAM, the online shop where i placed the order just sent me a message that the KF432S20IBK2/32 kits are no longer available, only the KF432S20IB1K2/32 are :(

6. gutentaghallo

gutentaghallo Newbie

Reputations:
    It took 2 months to receive my ordered RAM, but finally it arrived and I was able to install it. Everything runs smooth, but it's just running on 2667mhz.
    First I installed just two modules under the keyboard (total of 64GB) and afterwards all 4 modules (128GB). With both setups it was always running on 2667mhz instead of 3200mhz.
    Any idea what I could do?

[​IMG]

7. raitken4

raitken4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good evening,
    I own a Precision 7540 with Xeon E-2286M, now looking at upgrading the GPU. I bought a Nvidia RTX 3000 on e-bay. I am trying to find the right Thermal Pad, from what I have found, I need part number RX1Y7. I cannot find one anywhere.
    Is there anyone found another part number working ?

Thank You,

8. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    since you can't manually change it in precision models, i guess this is the max it will run at, from the spec sheet it does look like only 16GB modules or smaller can run at 3200MHz. So i guess there is a software or possibly even hardware limitation there.