The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. djdigitalhi

djdigitalhi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cinebench R20 benchmark

[​IMG]

Arman Shahinyan likes this.
  2. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @djdigitalhi thanks for posting.

A little disappointed by the multicore score, I don't know if your cpu hit throttling or is just too much powerlimited by Dell bios, but a well cooled 9980HK should score >4500 quite easly.

3. Div033

Div033 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @djdigitalhi Would you mind taking a screenshot of the RTX 3000 stats using GPUZ? Would love to see if it falls short of Nvidia's specs like it does on the 7540!

Edit - Nevermind. Just saw the other thread - it does indeed fall short. Thanks for helping us out! :)

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    See this post in the prerelease thread. The 3000 card seems to be basically the same between the two systems this time around. I'd be interested to see what the card is like in other vendors' systems. (Are NVIDIA's published specs incorrect, or is Dell shorting RTX 3000 owners?)

Arman Shahinyan and Div033 like this.
  5. nakosenk

nakosenk Newbie

Reputations:
    For some reason on the WD19DC dock, both the 7540 and the 7740 will cause the Ethernet adapter on the dock to become unknown. A 7530 connected to the same dock doesn't have the same problem. Uninstalling the unknown device and then scanning for new devices will bring it back, but it winds up disappearing again.

Is anyone else running into that?

6. djdigitalhi

djdigitalhi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is likely it was because it's not in an optimal environment...it's been so hot here lately and wasn't doing the test in a climate controlled space. But it could also be due to the issues listed previously.

I had that happened when I first got the dock and 7740. Randomly, the ethernet would disconnect and the device would disappear and comeback as unknown. Like you said, uninstalling and refreshing the device listing made everything work again, but it would happen at least 3-4 times during the work day. Was also having an issue where only 1 of the USB-C power ports would be active and the BIOS would complain it was underpowered.

After updating the BIOS and chipset drivers, I haven't had that problem so far with the unknown device nor with the only one USB port being active.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2019
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I spoke to NotebookCheck in a bid to get them to check if the core count was a mere typo error or Dell short-changing users, and it appears it is a typo indeed:
    [​IMG]
    True to that, NotebookCheck has changed the core count on the RTX 3000. Still feel shortchanged, NVIDIA or Dell...

8. Div033

Div033 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's a pretty big whoops on Nvidia's part. Disappointing, but now we know.

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think that you can complain much given how much you paid for that card :p
    Still, nice to have it settled.

Arman Shahinyan and Div033 like this.
  10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Fair, but one would have liked to get a 2304-core, $160 GPU. :)

Once again, the wait is on; let’s hope the TDP tweaker is updated for Quadro RTX. The RTX 3000, even at 80 W load, gets only to about 65 degrees C. I might see what a 120 W power limit does.