The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    • 8 GB VRAM is not future-proof for gaming unless you plan to game at FHD. Even the 10 GB desktop RTX 3080 may not be very future-proof (see PCGamesHardware test).
    • Tensor cores and RT cores ARE widely used by games: Tensor cores for DLSS, RT cores for Ray-Tracing. Having more cores will yield better performance
    • A4000 is the equivalent of mobile 3070, A5000 is mobile 3080, same chips. The Quadro cards have some circuitry onboard that allows them to use the Quadro bios and enable some extra features (i.e. double FP64 rate).
    • A5000 has more CUDA cores and should have higher TDP thus better performance. (3070, A4000: 5120, 3080, A5000: 6144 CUDA cores). At the same power level the 3070 and the 3080 only differ by 10% in performance (ComputerBase). A4000/A5000 should behave the same. But manufacturers usually allow more expensive cards to have higher TDP (or Total Graphics Power / Max Graphics Power as nVidia calls it), so the real performance difference may be greater than that. It depends on the manufacturer and the model.
    • You can absolutely install GeForce Game-Ready drives on Quadro cards. Last time I checked performance in games was drastically better than Quadro drivers.

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks. We decided to add in the "Palm rest Fingerprint Reader, Smart card Reader, & NFC"

3. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Yes he is a gamer. Want to stick with the precision line for the quality, support, and cad use. Gaming is second. He has been fine on a old XPS (I forget the GTX) so this leaps above. Just wondering if he will have any issues. Going back and forth on the extra $920 (student pricing) for the A5000 but going to stick with it.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is another thing that we won't know for sure until we have user tests in, however, for the three previous generations Dell has set the same power limit / TDP for the 4000 and 5000 level Quadro (with performance difference of regular raster rendering between the two being measured at 5% or less) and I expect that will be the same this time around. Not saying that there isn't benefit to the 5000-level card (extra vRAM, more tensor/RT cores as mentioned before) ... but for an extra $1,000, whew.

zhongze12345 and alaskajoel like this.
  5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
  6. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    why is there no 2x 16GB ECC ram option available...?

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I see that option available on both 7760 and 7560 on the U.S. site. (Could it be region-specific?)

8. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you select a Xeon CPU?

In germany I get lots of ECC options when I select a Xeon.

9. rinconmike

Reputations:
    on the finger print reader, what is the difference on the FIPS and Non-Fips? I asked the dell rep to add in the non fips. they added in the FIPs. They will revise, but now wondering what is the difference and why does the FIPS cost around $100 more?

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I'd say you don't want FIPS. I've had it in a few systems and it's obnoxious to use, rather slow to take a reading. (I think it meets a certain security/compliance standard so it is doing a more detailed fingerprint scan.) The non-FIPS reader is integrated into the power button so you don't even see it; the FIPS reader is a separate square/gold contact thing that will be installed separately from the keyboard.