The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have noticed that many people are going for the 15 inch model. Is this because of the 5000 GPU's being available in the 15 inch models now? Or do you use monitors? Just curious :)
    (I ordered a 17 inch for the bigger screen and slightly higher power for GPU)

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Will do. Estimated date is 8/10. Will need to know what software to use. We did not opt for the touch on this. I want to replace by 7710 now. Going to look at a 7760!

3. rinconmike

Reputations:
    We went for the 7560 for my son to use in College. For me, I am looking at the 7760. 95% of the time it is on a desk. I do take it in and out of the office every day i go to the office and then work from home. Cant remember the last time I did not use it with the dual wide screen monitors.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  4. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Mine is also arriving on 8/10. Non-touch is understandable since it's not really that useful when the laptop is sitting on the desk. Ampere would definitely be a huge upgrade over the M5000M (around 4x better performance). And also 8 core CPU's now (unfortunately, not any more than 8 since intel...). Though multicore performance isn't super important in many applications.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    15" is fine for "work". I don't mind the slightly smaller screen and I do usually have an external display attached. It's a bit easier to carry around (though I'm a lot more stationary now that I'm "work from home" almost all of the time). Also, the 17" model comes with increased cost. The base cost is similar this time around, but there is no RTX A2000 option in the 7760 so we'd have to pony up for the RTX A3000, and RTX A2000 was already a stretch as an ask since I don't do graphics work or anything... just prefer to use an NVIDIA GPU, and wanted to have tensor cores available in case we get to dabble in AI.

Refreshing my "personal" system next year with Alder Lake, definitely going for 17" 7770 then. On my personal system I do more media consumption (watching videos and gaming), and I do not use an external display most of the time, so both the larger screen and higher power GPU would be beneficial (and also I plan to put the extra NVMe slot to use).

6. Leo W

Leo W Newbie

Reputations:
    Where are you finding this student pricing?

7. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I got the bottom cover option of:

Bottom Cover with Smart Card slot Only

There is an option for:

Bottom Cover with Smart Card slot and SSD Quick Access Door

Is there a pro or con on getting a quick access door? On the 7710 was never a big deal to remove the bottom cover for the few times I upgraded the SSD.

Are there any photos of the difference?

EDIT:

I was looking through the service manual. It looks like the SSD cover is for the secondary SSD and may be good if you plan to change out an SSD frequently. Also, removing the bottom does not look too complicated. I see you have to disconnect the battery cable that I do not have to on the older 7710.

I guess the downside it is makes it easier for someone to remove the secondary SSD.

8. rinconmike

Reputations:
    check with the college IT department.

9. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Alder lake might be a compelling upgrade, but considering that it has pretty much the same components as the 7760 (maybe better pcie 4.0 support), personally, I don't think it's worth the wait. Also, this is probably a contentious stance, but I prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio and they might change it to 16:10 next year. I don't think the cooling will be significantly better to allow the CPU and GPU to work much better, so maybe a 20% improvement in performance at most. That is unless they use AMD next year which is unlikely.

Though I hope I don't regret not waiting for the 7770...

10. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    (a touch screen would be really nice, but maybe it's useless on a huge 17 inch laptop)