The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't expect the A5000 to be much worse battery life wise than the A4000. Both GPU's take up a crap ton of power for a laptop, and none of them are "power-efficient", with "power-efficient" referring to 50 watt GPU's in ultrabooks.
    Don't worry about your laps blocking the vents. The fans shouldn't start up when doing very light web browsing. And even if the fans go on a bit, the vents being blocked won't make it overheat. If you are concerned about blocking the vents, put one of your legs on the center between the fans so that the airflow won't be blocked.

Battery life is still an unknown with the 7760, but I would expect it to be similar to the 7750. I don't know about the 7750 battery life. I would expect the battery life to be not very spectacular, maybe 2-3 hours worst case with MS office and browsing the web. I would expect around 3-4 hours if you have the dGPU disabled, power saving mode, "optimized" or "cool" in Dell Power Manager, and with the screen fairly dim. If you are going to be away for the outlet, a battery pack would be a worthwhile investment.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Honestly you could probably get in the 4-6 hour range with the 95 Wh battery if you can keep the dGPU disabled, lower screen brightness, minimal background tasks, and limit the max CPU speed (I do this by setting the max CPU speed to "99%" in Windows advanced power options, and that will prevent it from turbo booting — you can set this for battery only).

3. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    could you elaborate?

that's the thing.. will they send a person to replace my keyboard? like last time when 2 of my keys stopped working or force me to send it in. that's my main thing.. as you said, they should do on site with either, but if pro support is not going to give me hard time, then maybe it's worth it. keyboard is small thing but also super annoying to spent 2 hrs between 4 call backs to get 2 keys replaced.... but ya, when your back key doesn't work.. wtf I am supposed to do

4. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    I tried to set a budget limit of 4000 (including 32gb ram upgrade and 2tb ssd upgrade), which meant that my spec could only have base warranty. I was reluctant to make the purchase more expensive, but after hearing positive experiences with ProSupport, I decided to get 5 years ProSupport.

5. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ah, ok. thank you.. right now my system is at $3150 and i need to get ram and ssd separately... if i drop 5 year back to down without pro i'll be around $2900 so, it's solid $250, i have ton consider... although over 5 years, it doesn't seem bad!

i am also thinkig it downgrading to windows home.. i cant think why i need pro, unless i go with encryption

6. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    I got Windows 10 home, since for me, I don't see a reason for 10 Pro since it's for personal use.
    I would definitely say get Prosupport for 5 years, you pay more up front, but it might save you a lot of time and money later on. Warranty is one of those things that you should prioritize (coming from personal experience having to wait almost a month to get my XPS back from a charging issue; I have normal warranty)

7. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

thank you :)

zhongze12345 likes this.
  8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The keyboard is considered user-replaceable. For something like this you can ask them to just ship you the part. I've had them do this for the keyboard (in two different systems) and just replaced it myself.

But yes... they should send someone out to replace any part.

9. trekzone

trekzone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you know if one can use 8TB SSD drives? E.g.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08957PT2...colid=VB6VIGNMOGKW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

10. KorBa

KorBa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It even is better IMHO. I had a case of a failed IDSDM controller card in a server. They wanted to just ship me the card to replace it myself, but since I've never done that I just told them that i never did it and they just send me the tech the other day. When the tech showed up he even showed me how to do it and so I can do it myself for future cases... thats the reason why I now always take pro support from them. (e.g.: new server got a 7 year pro sup for that case)

PS: also, before buying online to the prices they list I would always try to get a quote from dell themselves. I have rarely had the case they couldnt give me a better offer. If you're a company and even get a named contact to order from it even gets better, believe me.