The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a comparison q. My main laptop for the last 7 years were m4700, and 7510 for last 5 years. I have narrowed it down to 2 laptops>
    Precision 7760 with specs above and Lenovo legion 7 that will be released in July. Legion 7 with be ryzen 5900hx with rtx 3070. 7760 is with 11-800h and rtx 4000. My main use for either of these laptops is daily work with 20-30 browser tabs, excel files, . No heavy use like rendering or cad, or any simulation. Many will tell me (and they will be right) that for that use, both laptops are overkill. I will also use it for mediu gaming, mostly diablo 3, diablo 4 (when it comes out).

Right now, price for both specs, approx same (7760 maybe even more by 10%), so I won't make that my decision point. Here is how I see it, but I would appreciate some critical feedback. Laptop will always be plugged in, so battery use is not important.

Lenovo advantages:
    -2560x1600 screen at 165hz - probably most significant advantage
    -likely 30% better graphics performance (rtx vs 3070) due to more wattage and chamber + liquid metal cooling
    -likely better sound (not by a lot)
    -likely better battery, little lighter, and have manual camera switch on the side
    -more ports, many located on the back (i usually have 2 usb-a always filled with wireless devices)

Dell advantage:
    -Much Better warranty
    -Better online portal for drivers, ISO images, etc.
    -Maybe better build (hard to say, but I hope so)
    -Better reliability (due to warranty, and being overall beefier/heavier)
    -Sometimes I know and already like
    -Large screen, even if less resolution. I am used to 1080p and def do NOT need 4K (small difference)

My heard says 7760, but pro/con's say Lenovo. My only concern is that Lenovo is not a 4-5 year laptop...while 7760 is.

TIA!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Two thoughts:
    * Even if you don't "need" 4K, ordering the 4K panel in the 7760 will get you a 120Hz panel, while 1080p will be the normal 60Hz.
    * Since you mentioned the Lenovo system's camera switch... The 7760 IR camera has a built in camera cover that you can slide over to block the camera. (At least that was the case with 7740/7750 so I assume it will be the same here.)

3. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    that's a good point re camera switch, i def prefer it. as for 4k panel being 120hz, true, but it's a $200+ upgrade and when i won't use 4K, it feels like a waste...

4. trekzone

trekzone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply.

Does anybody know if double-sided M2 SSDs will work in the Dell Precision 7560?

5. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One of the options is to choose Energy Star Qualified and Not Energy Star Qualified. Is there there a difference?

6. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't compare a mobile workstation with a gaming laptop... just not the same thing. But if you haven't decided on whether you want a mobile workstation or a gaming laptop, I would personally go with the mobile workstation because I can't walk around with a gamery laptop. The choice between mobile workstation or gaming laptop is dependent on what you want from your computer.

If you want the absolute best performance, get the gaming laptop.

If you want something that blends in and won't draw attention in a professional environment, get the mobile workstation. Also get the mobile workstation if you care about longevity and warranty.

Also, if you render stuff or do simulations non-stop (you said that you didn't, but just putting this out there), get the mobile workstation. A gaming laptop isn't as reliable and there is no way to get around the fact that gaming laptops are made for performance and not longevity.

Personally, I would get the mobile workstation, but every person is different.

trekzone likes this.
  7. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    never going to carry it either. it's a coffee table warrior :). i am def leaning 7760, but i have to go through that mental checkout, especially if someone can argue against legion 7 strenths

8. trekzone

Reputations:
    zhongze made an excellent point, and I fully agree. If its mainly for work, I would definitely go with the Dell Precision 7560 due to quality, reliability, service, and the workstation looks much better on the professional level.

Also if you use the 4K display of the Precision 7560, you can have multiple windows open in parallel/side-by-side if needed, which can be super useful for work.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  9. trekzone

Reputations:
    Why do you think the RTX 3070 mobile has a 30% better performance than the RTX A4000?

The A4000 seems to have a higher boost clock speed, and a higher wattage (140W TDP vs 115W TDP of the 3070), and a higher Memory bandwidth (448.0 GB/s vs 320.0 GB/s):

https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-RTX-3070-mobile-vs-RTX-A4000-mobile

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They work in 7550. 7560 has the same chassis. Should be fine.

trekzone likes this.