The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Ah, interesting. I always found it simpler to just reinstall Windows, less problems down the road.

At any rate, my key reason for suggesting a GPU upgrade over a whole-laptop swap was the massive cost-efficiency, and secondly that LR is in general poorly-written, so it would hang/lag anyway. I've used Ryzen Threadripper workstations at college to work on Lightroom, and it still manages to lag. It really is that bad.

I wouldn't be that optimistic. The A2000 may have the same number of CUDA cores as the RTX 4000, but it also has half the memory and less than half the memory bandwidth (448 GB/s vs 192 GB/s), and depending on the notebook, might be drastically power-limited.

I would expect a 60 W A2000 (likely performance target, based on past 2000-series Quadro power limits) to equal a RTX 3000.

2. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't get the ECC RAM - hopefully I'll get a few quid for it on ebay though

3. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone know what brand and model the M.2 2280 1 TB, Gen 3 PCIe x4 NVMe, SSD have recently shipped with the 7x50 orders? Curious what that is and if that will be the same for the initial 7x60 orders.

4. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I second this: the WX 4150 hasn't aged particularly well (even worse than 1650 mobile in my XPS). An RTX 4000 would yield a world of improvement...
    The i7 8850H should last a few more years.

5. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Pretty sure they source the SSD's from different vendors (I think Samsung and Micron are amongst them for the Precision)

6. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    wdym by problems?

7. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    Reviews for the 7760/7560 should be coming soon...

8. latttitude

latttitude Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

Have some questions, hope you have some answers :)

1. In the configurator, why does it say NVIDIA T1200 is compatible with UHD panel?
    2. If the notebook is bought without a real graphics card and I use the intel built-in GPU, is it possible to upgrade to NVIDIA later? Or maybe some other parts are also missing? (eg GPU cooler, etc.) or is the upgrade completely blocked? (eg no socket/connector/etc)
    3. What is this "6-8 core limitation" of Windows PRO? (again, shown by the configurator on dell.de). I plan to use linux, I just need windows in virtualbox so I can run windows app if rarely needed.Therefore do I need this more expensive version of windows pro?
    4. I'm a bit hesitating between the 7560 and the 7760. I have never had a 17" notebook, and I'm not sure which one to choose. My primary concerns are (a) being eye-friendly (b) have some screen real estate (doing software development in IDEs all day). I'm basically using my notebook on my desk all day with external display, the only reason i'm buying a notebook instead of a desktop is, that occasionally when going onsite to the company or vacations, I'd like to have everything with me. My line of thinking is, that even on these external trips, maybe would be better to have a larger display which either fits more or I can set up font sizes at least, so it won't stress my eyes.
    5. The configurator says it will come with 240W power supply (240-W-Netzteil, E5 (EPEAT)). Is this enough to run at full throttle? If not, what is the SKU for a higher end power supply?
    6. Does anyone have a recommendation for a linux-friendly thunderbolt 4 docking station that would go well with this notebook?
    7. Do you think dedicated page-up page-down keys will ever come back? Also what about the physical volume buttons on previous generations. It' simply mind-blowing why they keep changing stuff on the keyboard on ever generation.
    8. How much better is the IR-cam? Again it is mind-blowing why they cannot fit some decent camera in there as standard.. at least on latitudes, the webcam is a grainy, low-sensitivity crap compared to all other webcams in zoom meetings I have with colleagues.

Thanks!

trekzone likes this.
  9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. Maybe they fixed it, there's no reason why you should be able to buy the system with a 4K panel and just Intel UHD graphics, but not with the NVIDIA T1200 which is definitely superior...
    2. You would have to source the GPU card, heatsink, DGFF PCIe/data connectors, and DGFF power cable. (You get a different heatsink that doesn't cover the dGPU if you purchase the system without a dGPU.)
    3. I think this has to do with Microsoft's OEM licensing. Windows 10 Pro can use any number of CPU cores (limited to two physical CPUs max), there is not a specific version of it that you have to buy to unlock a certain core count.
    4. Don't really see a question here, but I personally prefer 17" especially when the system is not going to be used with an external display.
    5. The system will not run at full throttle indefinitely. Those days are gone for laptops since Intel has cranked up the max turbo speed so high. It will run at a speed higher than the base frequency indefinitely. You can get a 330W power supply but it will not benefit you at all, the system will not draw more than 240W.
    6. Do note that the system cannot draw adequate power from a docking station unless you're using a Dell docking station with two USB-C/Thunderbolt connectors. You can use any other dock but you will also have to have a regular 240W AC power adapter connected to the system.
    7. I'm hoping dedicated Home/End buttons come back next time the chassis is refreshed but you never know what Dell is going to do. You can look into remapping those calculator buttons above the keypad to keys that you actually prefer to use.
    8. I don't think the IR cam produces better image quality, I've never heard anyone mention this anyway. It's just there so that it can do a 3D face scan for Windows Hello facial recognition login.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    trekzone likes this.
  10. trekzone

trekzone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have ordered my Dell Precision 7560 via the US website, and it only seems to come with a 180W E5 Power Adapter (EPEAT). Could that cause the system to not be able to run at full power?

Regarding the docking stations, in the US the most powerful I found (and the one which the Dell support team recommended) is the Dell Performance Dock – WD19DCS with 210W.