The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    7560 gets 180W power and 7760 gets 240W. I mentioned 240W above because it looked like he was learning towards 17". 7560 can be expected to perform a bit lower than the 7760; it has a smaller cooling system, so the system has to put out less heat (and thus it will consume less power). Tests on past systems have indicated that there is no benefit (but no drawback) to running the system with a power adapter with a higher wattage than the one that it came with.

Regarding the dock, the WD19DCS, WD19DC, and TB18DC docks all include a 240W power adapter in the box and can provide up to 210W of DC power to the system. (The standalone power supplies are labeled by the maximum amount of AC power consumed.) I haven't seen any tests of a 17" system docked vs. undocked to see if there is a performance difference there, but if there is, I expect that it would be minimal.

trekzone likes this.
  2. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tests have shown that the 7750 can draw power from its battery at turbo speeds. However, the power consumption will stabilize to what the adapter can handle. Note that unless you have multiple ssd's @ 100%, screen on max brightness, power hungry peripherals connected, etc., the throttling should be thermal and not power induced.

trekzone likes this.
  3. TheEngineerNBR

TheEngineerNBR Newbie

Reputations:
    Just found this comparison video on YouTube.
    Good news (if you can read English): detailed slides in English.
    Bad news (if you can’t speak what I can only assume is the native language in Ukraine): audio commentary decidedly not in English.

4. hoxuantu

hoxuantu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    One of key changes for 7560/7760 is chassis intrusion switch --> what is it ?

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I noticed that too... I've seen it in Dell desktops before, basically it just pops an alert message from the BIOS at bootup if the chassis has been opened. Probably you'll also be able to see a log of these events in the BIOS event log.

zhongze12345 and hoxuantu like this.
  6. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess one more novelty item to have :p (for my use case), though I can definitely see it useful. I wonder if it notifies you if the secondary ssd door is opened because that would be the easiest point of entry into the laptop

7. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is that. Lightroom is a slow dog -- no way around it. (Alternatives like Capture One are far faster, but I'm too tied to the Lightroom workflow to switch anytime soon.) But I'm hoping that faster hardware would ameliorate some of Lightroom's inefficiencies. The move from an XPS 15 to the 7730 made me substantially more efficient.

Hmmm. That would be a hell of a lot cheaper. The problem is that I haven't worked on hardware at all in years (other than installing memory and drives). And because it's my busy season, I'm putting in 15 hour days and am running on fumes. I don't know where I would find half a day to install the new GPU and ensure that everything is running properly. I'd have to find a local tech to do that for me, and that leaves me leery of any issues since I rely on this machine every day.

The way I've been thinking about it is that if I drop the money on a 7760, and it lasts me 3+ years (like my 7730 has), and it saves me even half an hour a day because of increased performance and efficiency, then maybe I just justify that eye-popping expense.

But now you have my thinking about upgrading the GPU in my 7730 instead. Hmmm.

8. frostbytes

Reputations:
    Makes sense.

I wish I could have afforded a better GPU when I bought the 7730 because we probably wouldn't be having this conversation if it had a better GPU.

Good points, thanks.

I'm old school about this topic. I've always done clean OS installs every couple of years to keep things fresh. My 7730 has been showing weird system interrupt threads in Task Manager that are chewing up CPU usage, so I'm thinking I'm due for a fresh OS install anyway. And if I'm going to spend that time, maybe I should just do it on a new machine.

9. frostbytes

Reputations:
    I'm with you on that.

Yep. It really is.

There's a database of Lightroom benchmarks at https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/PugetBench-for-Lightroom-Classic-1571/. I've tried running it on my 7730 to compare performance but it crashes for me.

10. frostbytes

Reputations:
    If only the real-world difference with Lightroom could be quantified.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021