The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Tiger Lake benchmarks starting to show up...
    Here are some for the i9-11980HK, which appears to compete quite well against the Ryzen 7 5800H and Ryzen 9 5980HS in compute performance — but not so much in graphics performance.
    (Tiger Lake H35 CPUs would probably do notably better in the graphics department, with 3× Xe EUs compared to the H45 CPUs, which are intended to be paired with a dGPU.)
    https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-tiger-lake-h-11th-gen-benchmarks-8-core

Notably, the i9-11980HK is not available in the Precision 7X60 systems. The top CPU is the i9-11950H. Hadn't noticed this until now; they did offer the top "HK" CPU in the 7X50 systems, I believe. Compared to i9-11950H, the i9-11980HK CPU has 0.1 GHz higher base and turbo frequencies, and a higher 65W TDP.

[Edit]
    Just realized that the i7-11375H CPU that they are testing there is a Tiger Lake H35 CPU with 96 Xe EUs, and yet it doesn't really perform any better in the graphics tests... Huh.

2. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    11950H also has Turbo Bins so you can overclock it to 5 GHz 8C Turbo.

3. TheEngineerNBR

TheEngineerNBR Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All.
    First post so please be patient if I'm breaking any rules/conventions.

Do any of you have any opinions about getting an "almost maxed out" Precision 7750 (8 Core Xeon, RTX 5000, UHD, 64 gb ecc ram, single 512 Class 50 ssd) for ~ $4,400 NOW vs waiting for the summer for whatever ~$4,400 will get me for the Precision 7760 at that point? My current setup is a 2016 Boxx MXL (Quad Core i7-6700K, Quadro M3000M, 17.3" FHD, 16 gb ram, single 512 M.2 PCIe ssd) and it is giving me issues (display wont show anything even thought the backlight is on) forcing me to be connected to external displays.
    Is there any real reason to wait for the higher priced, latest set up (besides I "want" the latest and greatest" lol)?

I'm also considering the analogous "almost maxed out" Precision 5750 (8 Core Xeon, RTX 3000, UHD+, 64 gb ecc ram, single 512 Class 50 ssd) for ~ $4,400 vs waiting like above.

Any insight would be really helpful!

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    GPU prices are something you'll have to watch out for in the 7760, but as I just mentioned over here, (new) RTX A3000 will actually be better than (old) RTX 5000... unless you need the higher vRAM of the RTX 5000. I'd suggest to wait if you can stand to wait, and you like "latest and greatest" stuff. The 10th-gen Intel CPUs are the latest in a long line of Kaby Lake-derived 14nm CPUs, and for 11th gen they have finally introduced a new architecture which comes with a pretty decent IPC gain (more work done in the same number of clock cycles). Seems a shame to miss out on that by just a few weeks. (Honestly, you'll be waiting probably until July or even early August to actually receive the system, so it's more a matter of how long you can tolerate your current system.)

TheEngineerNBR likes this.
  5. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    Try reconnecting the eDP cable on your Boxx. (unplug the battery first)

TheEngineerNBR likes this.
  6. TheEngineerNBR

TheEngineerNBR Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you point me to where that is located (under keyboard or under bottom cover)?

7. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    Not sure as I don't know who the OEM is for your laptop.

8. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anandtech reviewed a laptop I9-11980HK that they tuned back down to 45W; this seems very analogous to the i9-11950H or W-11955M topping out the 7760 specifications:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16680/tiger-lake-h-performance-review

The end conclusion seems to be: peerless single threaded laptop performance, multicore lags behind the latest 35W Ryzen CPUs but not by a large degree. And since apparently no Ryzen laptops have PCI 4.0, the new Precision series will have that advantage.

9. SandyScott

SandyScott Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G
    I'd be interested in knowing this too.

10. KorBa

KorBa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G

Do you or anyone have some kind of test or comparision of a 300nits (classical max nits) vs 500nits vs 800nits laptop display? Can I expect to finally read and work outside when sun shines?

Also anyone an idea when they will be orderable in EMEA?

Can I expect the W-11955M to be quite faster than my current E-2186M ? - From the test its nearly impossible to find something yet on the benchmark pages and while the old one was defined as 45W, the new one somehow can be 35-65W which makes me wonder what we can expect in the 7760...